With the shift of modern life into a technology-fueled existence, self-care practices can offer a great way to escape the daily stresses of becoming a woman in 2020 and beyond. Taking just a few moments each day to practice self-care can help you nurture your mental, physical and emotional health, while boosting your overall wellbeing. Here are our top 10 self-care tips to help elevate your wellbeing as a woman;
1. Create a nourishing routine
Creating a regular and nourishing routine for your morning and evening can serve as a foundation for your wellbeing and overall health. Find ways to be consistent and start the day off with a positive attitude, like drinking a glass of warm lemon water. Then, before going to bed, try soft, restful practices such as reading and stretching.
2. Get creative
Expressing yourself through art can be a great way to decompress and show gratitude, especially when things feel a bit overwhelming. Whether that’s picking up a brush and some paints, playing an instrument or simply writing in a journal, embracing your creative side can be an excellent form of self-care, and can help you honor your inner world.
When life starts to feel hectic, dedicate some time to self-massage with a soothing oil, like lavender or almond oil. Self-massage can nourish the body and the nervous system, while promoting relaxation. For a full body experience, use long strokes with your hands and allow yourself time to melt into the practice.
4. Designate some tech-free time
Creating some tech-free timeout in our day can help to bring a sense of stillness and calm. Whether that’s switching off from your devices an hour before bed or unplugging from social media for an entire weekend, lowering the screen time can reduce stress and provide an opportunity to connect to yourself and the outside world.
5. Connect with nature
Incorporating outdoor activities into your daily routine can improve your mood, immune system and self-esteem. Whether that’s gardening, going for a walk or a jog or simply sitting in a park and observing the landscape, nature can provide a sense of awe, while calming the mind.
6. Make time for fun
Spending time with friends in an uplifting environment can be a great way to enjoy and recharge. So, whether that means a picnic in the park, a game of badminton or a fun night out, fun activities will have you feeling energized and positive.
7. Establish good sleep hygiene
Quality sleep is essential for restoring the body, calming the mind and alleviating stress levels. So, establishing good sleep hygiene can help you get those much needed ZZZ’s, while promoting a natural energy boost the next day.
8. Exercise regularly
Exercise can be a great tool to promote wellness and a healthy lifestyle, while boosting your mood and energy levels. Aim to find an exercise program that you can commit to, like yoga or pilates that you enjoy and that you can stick with it.
9. Eat nourishing foods
By making sure you have a balanced diet and plenty of water, you’ll stay topped up with all the essential nutrients you need to stay energized and maintain healthy hormones. Also, be sure to steer clear of processed foods, refined sugars and alcohol as much as possible.
10. Find moments of stillness and quiet
Finding moments of stillness and quiet in your day can help to improve focus, increase productivity, and reduce mental fatigue. Whether that’s switching off from your devices and taking a few mindful breaths or meditating for 10-15 minutes a day, the ritual of stillness can help to allow ourselves to stop, observe and simply ‘be’.
Making time for self-care practices and dedicating dedicated time to nurture your mental, physical and emotional health can do wonders for your wellbeing. So, start small and remember that practice makes perfect and that self-care brings a much needed sense of balance and calm to our lives.
What are some self-care activities for mental wellbeing?
1. Eat a balanced diet
2. Exercise regularly
3. Get enough sleep
4. Practice relaxation techniques, such as yoga, tai chi, and meditation
5. Discuss your feelings with a mental health professional
6. Spend time in nature
7. Express yourself through creative outlets such as art or writing
8. Connect with friends and family members
9. Spend time doing activities you enjoy
10. Practice gratitude and positive thinking
11. Talk to a supportive person
12. Spend time volunteering or helping others in your community
13. Take care of your physical health by getting regular check-ups and exercising
14. Give yourself permission to take breaks or rest when you need it
15. Seek professional help if you’re feeling overwhelmed or experiencing a mental health crisis.
What are some effective self-care strategies for managing mental health?
1. Exercise regularly: Regular exercise can help to reduce both mental and physical health problems. It can improve your overall mood, reduce stress and provide a natural way to boost your self-esteem.
2. Get enough sleep: Lack of sleep can have a significant impact on your mental health. Make sure to establish a regular sleep schedule and stick to it.
3. Practice relaxation techniques: Relaxation techniques such as yoga, meditation, and deep breathing can help to reduce stress and anxiety.
4. Eat healthy: Eating healthy can have a positive effect on mental health. Incorporate fruits, veggies, lean proteins, and whole grains into your diet.
5. Stay socially active: Keeping connected with friends, family, and even meeting new people can help to boost your overall mood and provide a sense of comfort.
6. Connect with nature: Getting outside can be an effective way to help manage mental health issues. Being in the sun can release endorphins, while the fresh air, surrounded by beauty, can help to improve mood and reduce stress.
7. Take breaks and practice self-compassion: Breaks allow us to temporarily step away from whatever might be causing us stress. Doing things that you enjoy, such as taking a walk, reading a book, or engaging in a hobby can help to reduce stress and provide more perspective. Additionally, practicing self-compassion and forgiveness can help to alleviate any feelings of guilt or shame.