5 Tips to Eat Healthier and Feel Better
Eating healthier is one of the easiest and most effective ways to improve your overall sense of well-being. Here are 5 easy tips to get you started on the path to eating healthier and feeling better:
1. Eat Whole Foods
Whole foods are unprocessed and unrefined and include whole grains, fruits, vegetables, beans, nuts, and seeds. Aim to choose whole foods over processed foods as much as possible. Eating whole foods helps you to get the nutrients and energy that your body needs while avoiding added sugars and unhealthy fats.
2. Drink More Water
Drinking enough water is essential for good health. Drinking plenty of water helps to keep your body hydrated, prevents constipation, and supports general well-being. Aim to drink 6-8 glasses of water per day.
3. Eat Regularly
Eating regular meals and snacks is important to keep your energy levels and metabolism going. Aim to eat a nutritious meal or snack every 3-4 hours.
4. Pay Attention to Portion Sizes
Eating the right amounts of food is just as important as eating the right kinds of food. Try to use the plate method when determining portion sizes—fill half of your plate with fruits and veggies, a quarter with a lean protein, and a quarter with a grain or starchy vegetable.
5. Reduce Sugar Intake
Too much sugar can lead to insulin resistance, weight gain and a whole host of other health issues. Try to reduce your sugar intake by:
- Limiting Added Sugars: Avoid processed and pre-packaged foods that contain added sugar.
- Reducing Sugar-Sweetened Beverages: Drink more water instead.
- Limiting Sweets and Desserts: Choose healthier alternatives such as fruit for a sweeter treat.
Making healthy eating a part of your lifestyle can go a long way in helping you to feel better. Eating whole foods, drinking plenty of water, eating regular meals and snacks, paying attention to portion sizes, and reducing sugar intake are all great ways to start eating healthier and boosting your overall sense of wellness.
What are some easy tips to make healthier food choices?
1. Eat more fruits, veggies, and whole grains.
2. Choose lean proteins like fish, skinless poultry, and beans.
3. Avoid processed foods and opt for fresh ingredients whenever possible.
4. Use herbs and spices to flavor dishes instead of sauces and condiments with added sugar or sodium.
5. Control portions and opt for single-serving sizes of snacks when possible.
6. Read labels to check for added sugars, saturated fat, and sodium.
7. Drink plenty of water instead of sugary drinks.
8. Stock up on healthy snacks like almonds, dried fruit, & air-popped popcorn.
9. Try new, healthier recipes to keep meals interesting.
10. Plan ahead and prepare meals in advance.
What types of food should I eat to make healthier choices?
1. Lean meats such as chicken, turkey and fish.
2. Whole grains such as quinoa and brown rice.
3. Fruits and vegetables like apples, bananas, spinach, and carrots.
4. Legumes like beans, lentils and chickpeas.
5. Nuts and seeds like almonds, walnuts and pumpkin seeds.
6. Healthy fats like avocado, olive oil and coconut oil.
7. Dairy products like yogurt, kefir and cheese.
8. Herbs and spices like cilantro, garlic and ginger.
9. Plant-based proteins like tempeh and tofu.
What types of food should I avoid to make healthier choices?
You should avoid processed foods, fried foods, sugar-sweetened beverages, refined grains, processed meats, and most fast food. Instead, opt for whole foods like fruits and vegetables, whole grains, lean meats, seafood, eggs, and nuts. Also, watch out for hidden sugars and fats in condiments, sauces, and salad dressings.
What healthy alternatives can I choose instead of unhealthy foods?
1. Fresh fruits and vegetables instead of chips and candy.
2. Whole-grain breads, oatmeal, and brown rice instead of white bread and pasta.
3. Nuts and seeds, nut butters and dried fruits instead of processed snack foods.
4. Low-fat dairy products and lean proteins instead of fried and processed meats.
5. Unsweetened teas, natural juices and coconut water instead of sodas and energy drinks.
6. Homemade smoothies and protein shakes instead of ice cream and milkshakes.
7. Baked or air-fried foods instead of deep-fried options.
8. Avocado and hummus instead of cream- or oil-based salad dressings.
What foods should I eat to stay healthy?
1. Fresh Fruits and Vegetables: Eating an abundance of fresh fruits and vegetables helps you consume essential vitamins and minerals while avoiding unhealthy processed foods.
2. Protein-rich Foods: Consuming lean proteins such as poultry, fish, nuts, eggs, and beans helps maintain a healthy weight, decrease inflammation and supports muscle growth.
3. Whole Grains: Eating whole grains such as oats, quinoa, brown rice, and wheat provide complex carbohydrates, fiber, and essential vitamins and minerals.
4. Healthy Fats: Opt for healthy fats like avocados, nuts, and fatty fish to improve blood cholesterol levels and help stabilize blood sugar.
5. Water: Staying hydrated is essential for overall health and it helps to flush out toxins from your body. Make sure you are consuming an adequate amount of water throughout the day.