Taking care of your skin is no small task. Proper skincare habits should become a routine that you do daily. Here are 5 habits to build into your daily skincare routine:
1. Wash Your Face.
Washing your face is one of the most important parts of any skincare routine. Wash your face twice daily with a gentle cleanser to remove dirt, oil, and makeup from your skin.
Exfoliating your skin is important. It is best to exfoliate your face one to three times a week, depending on skin type and sensitivity. Use gentle, circular motions to help remove excess dirt, oils, and dead skin cells.
3. Use Sunscreen.
Using sunscreen everyday is essential. Sunscreen helps protect your skin from the detrimental damage of UV rays, and can help prevent premature aging and skin cancer. Choose a sunscreen that is SPF 30 or higher and reapply throughout the day.
Moisturizing your skin helps keep it hydrated and healthy. Choose a moisturizer that is right for your skin type and apply it day and night after washing your face. Don’t forget to use moisturizer on your neck and other parts of your body too.
5. Take Care of Your Lips.
Your lips need special attention too. Exfoliating your lips regularly will keep them soft and smooth. Use a sugar scrub or a damp cloth to gently scrub off any dry skin. Follow up with a hydrating lip balm to keep your lips moisturized.
Following these tips will help your skin look and feel its best. Developing these habits everyday is one of the best gifts you can give your skin.
What is the best everyday skincare routine?
1. Cleanser: Use a gentle cleanser in the morning and evening to remove dirt, oil, and makeup from your skin.
2. Moisturizer: Use a light-weight moisturizer after cleansing to protect your skin barrier and keep your skin hydrated.
3. Sunscreen: Use a broad-spectrum sunscreen with SPF 15 or higher throughout the day to protect your skin from ultraviolet (UV) radiation.
4. Serum: Use a hydrating serum and/or antioxidant serum at night to nourish the skin and tackle any specific skincare concerns.
5. Exfoliation: Once or twice a week, use a gentle exfoliant to slough off dead skin cells and reveal brighter, more even skin.
6. Mask: A few times a week, use a face mask to treat your skin to a deep-down cleanse, hydration, and/or exfoliation.
What skin type is best for an everyday skincare routine?
The best skin type for an everyday skincare routine is normal to combination skin types. Those with this skin should use cleansing, toning, and moisturizing products to ensure their complexion is adequately hydrated and protected from environmental aggressors. It is important to avoid over-drying and over-exfoliating for this skin type. Those with dry and sensitive skin should also take care to use gentle, yet effective products.
What products should I use for my everyday skincare routine?
1. Cleanser: Choose a cleanser that is suitable for your skin type (such as oily skin, dry skin, normal skin, etc.), making sure to remove all makeup and debris from the day.
2. Toner: Using a toner formulated for your skin type helps to refine pores and balance pH levels.
3. Exfoliator: Use an exfoliator no more than twice a week to remove dead skin cells and promote cell turnover.
4. Serums/Spot Treatments: If you need more targeted solutions for acne and discoloration, target with a serum or spot treatment.
5. Moisturizer: Use a moisturizer every day to keep your skin hydrated and nourished.
6. Sunscreen: Applying a sunscreen every day will help protect your skin from damaging UV rays.
What are the steps in a basic skincare routine?
1. Cleanse – Use a gentle cleanser to remove dirt, oil, and make up from the surface of your skin.
2. Exfoliate – Use an exfoliating scrub to remove dead skin cells and deep clean the pores.
3. Tone – Using a toner can help to balance the skin’s pH level and prep it for the next steps.
4. Serum – Use an age-appropriate serum or oil to treat your skin’s specific needs.
5. Moisturize – Choose an appropriate moisturizer for your skin type and apply it to keep your skin hydrated.
6. Sunscreen – Apply a broad-spectrum SPF 15 or higher to protect your skin from harmful UV rays.
What products should I include in my basic skincare routine?
1. Facial cleanser
5. Facial scrub
6. Eye cream
7. Face masks
8. Serums/oils/spot treatment
9. Night cream
10. Lip balm
What products should I avoid in a basic skincare routine?
You should avoid certain ingredients, such as synthetic fragrances and colors, drying alcohols, and potentially irritating ingredients, such as parabens, phthalates, formaldehyde, and oxybenzone. Some other commonly avoided ingredients are mineral oils, sulfates, retinol, and hydroquinone.
What type of ingredients should be avoided in a basic skincare routine?
The following ingredients should be avoided in a basic skincare routine: Fragrance, Parabens, Sulfates, Formaldehyde, Phthalates, Petrochemicals, Triclosan, Oxybenzone, Retinyl Palmitate, Hydroquinone, and Synthetic Colorants.