Your skin is an essential part of your overall health, and a glowing complexion is the goal for almost everyone. However, keeping your skin healthy doesn’t always come naturally. These five easy tips will help you maintain that gorgeous, glowing complexion all year round.
Being well hydrated is essential for any part of your body, and this includes your skin. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water throughout the day, so that your skin can be healthy and glowing!
2. Eat Right
Your skin reflects what’s going on inside your body, so it’s important to eat healthy and balanced. Stick to fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and nutritious proteins for foods that can help your skin stay in great shape.
3. Avoid Over-Cleansing and Exfoliating
You don’t need to cleanse your face every hour! Over-cleansing and over-exfoliating can lead to irritation and dryness in your skin, making it more vulnerable to damage. Stick to twice a day and use gentle cleansers.
4. Apply Sunscreen
We all know how important sunscreen is, but you don’t hear it enough! Applying a broad spectrum sunscreen helps protect your skin from harmful rays year round. Remember that even on cloudy days, the sun can damage your skin—so never forget to apply!
5. Don’t Neglect Moisturizer
Moisturizing is an essential for any skin type. Make sure to look for one that is tailored to your skin type, whether that be oily, dry, or combination. It will help lock in moisture and protect your skin from environmental damage.
Following these five tips will help you maintain glowing and healthy skin all year round. For even better results, be sure to check in with a dermatologist from time to time to make sure you’re following the best practices for your skin type.
What foods should I eat to help maintain healthy skin?
1. Fresh fruits and vegetables: Eating plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables is important for healthy skin. Fruits and vegetables are packed with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that help protect the skin from free radical damage and repair skin tissue.
2. Omega-3 fatty acids: Omega-3 fatty acids found in foods like salmon, walnuts, eggs and flaxseeds fight inflammation and help maintain skin elasticity.
3. Water: Staying hydrated is essential for keeping skin moisturized and healthy. Make sure to drink at least 8 glasses of water a day.
4. Nuts and seeds: Eating pumpkin, sunflower, and sesame seeds, as well as almonds, walnuts and hazelnuts, provide essential fatty acids and vitamins that help nourish the skin.
5. Lean proteins: Eating lean sources of protein like fish, poultry, and beans can help provide essential amino acids needed for skin health.
What foods are high in antioxidants for skin health?
1. Berries such as blueberries, raspberries, cranberries and strawberries
2. Nuts, especially walnuts and pecans
3. Vegetables such as kale, spinach and sweet potatoes
4. Fruits such as oranges, papaya and plums
5. Legumes such as lentils and beans
6. Herbs and spices such as oregano, thyme, turmeric, cinnamon and ginger
7. Green tea
8. Dark chocolate
What are the benefits of eating foods high in antioxidants for skin health?
1. Slowing down skin aging: Antioxidants can protect your skin from free radicals and help slow down the signs of aging, including wrinkles, age spots, and dull-looking skin.
2. Reducing damage from sun exposure: Foods high in antioxidants can help reduce the damage caused by UV rays and pollution, which causes premature aging.
3. Improving skin texture: Foods high in antioxidants can help your skin stay soft and smooth by increasing moisture and reducing inflammation.
4. Promoting collagen production: Eating antioxidant-rich foods helps to produce more collagen, which is the main component of connective tissue that keeps skin elastic, firm, and supple.
5. Brightening skin: Antioxidants also protect your skin from environmental stressors and help to maintain an even skin tone, giving you a healthy glow.
What foods contain the highest levels of antioxidants?
3. Goji Berries
4. Dark Chocolate
6. Kidney Beans
10. Brussels Sprouts
What are the health benefits of consuming foods high in antioxidants?
1. Help reduce inflammation: Antioxidants have anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce inflammation in the body. This may help reduce the risk of chronic diseases like heart disease, diabetes, and cancer.
2. Improve brain health: Antioxidants can help reduce oxidative stress and improve brain health. This may reduce symptoms of depression, Alzheimer’s, and other cognitive disorders.
3. Promote eye health: Vitamin A and other antioxidants found in fruits and vegetables can help improve vision and protect the eye from age-related diseases.
4. Strengthen the immune system: Consuming foods high in antioxidants can help strengthen the body’s immune system and protect it against infection and disease.
5. Slow the aging process: Free radicals play a major role in the aging process. Consuming foods high in antioxidants may help slow this process, promoting healthier skin and a longer lifespan.