Winter is a time for comfort, hot drinks, thick jumpers and hearty soups. But the cold weather and busy holiday season can also take a toll on your physical and mental health. To make sure you’re at your healthiest this winter, here are seven tips to help:
1. Get Plenty of Sleep
Your body needs quality sleep to stay strong and energised. Try to stick to a regular sleeping routine – even on weekends – to ensure you’re getting the rest you need. Aim for seven to nine hours of sleep a night.
2. Eat Smartly
A balanced diet is important at any time of year, but you may want to focus on certain foods that can help you to cope with colder temperatures. Fill up on complex carbohydrates, including oats, whole-grain bread and sweet potatoes, to help keep you full of energy.
3. Take Vitamin D
Vitamin D is important for bones and muscles, as well as regulating your immune system. Many of us don’t get enough Vitamin D from sunshine alone – it can also be found in foods such as mushrooms, dairy products, and fatty fish. You may also want to consider taking a Vitamin D supplement this winter.
4. Wrap Up Warm
It may sound obvious, but it’s important to make sure you stay warm in winter. Invest in high-quality, warm jackets, gloves and scarves. It’s also wise to wear layers of clothing, so you can peel off items if you get too hot.
5. Exercise Regularly
Your body needs regular exercise, even when it’s cold outside. Get out and brave the cold for a brisk walk, or consider joining an indoor gym class. Regular exercise can help to keep your immune system strong, reduce stress and lift your mood.
6. Make Time for Yourself
Winter can be a stressful time of year, so it’s important to make time for yourself. Spend time with friends and family, indulge in a hobby, take up a new activity or just take some time each day to relax.
7. Look After Your Mental Health
Pay attention to your mental health this winter. Seasonal depression can come on in winter, due to longer nights, reduced sunlight and the hectic nature of Christmas and New Year. Look out for signs of stress, anxiety and depression, and reach out for help if you’re struggling.
By following these tips, you can make sure you stay fit and healthy this winter, and enjoy the season to the fullest.
What activities can men do to stay healthy and fit during winter?
1. Exercise indoors: Home gyms, yoga classes, and HIIT workouts can all be done indoors during winter months. Depending on the area, many local gyms may even offer winter-themed fitness classes or equipment.
2. Take up a new hobby: Focusing on something else that doesn’t require being outside can help stay active. Examples include climbing, dancing, martial arts, or even woodworking.
3. Go for hikes: Taking a hike on trails that are away from the snow and ice can be a great way to stay active during winter.
4. Participate in winter sports: Winter sports like ice hockey, ice skating, skiing, and snowboarding are all great ways to stay fit and have fun while doing it.
5. Work out with weights: Free weights, dumbbells, barbells, and machines are all great tools to help get a good workout in during winter.
6. Interval training: Interval training is a great way to challenge the body no matter the season. Instead of doing one long workout, short bursts of intense activity with short breaks in between can be more effective at burning calories and working the heart.
7. Join a basketball league: Joining a basketball league is an excellent way to stay active during winter. There are often leagues available for all levels of players and most games take place indoors.
8. Eat healthy: Even if the desire for hot meals and comfort foods is strong, winter is the perfect time to get creative and make healthy dishes that are locally sourced during the cold months.
9. Get some sun: Though it may be cold outside, bundling up and going out for some time in the sunlight can be beneficial, especially considering the lack of daylight in the winter. A little bit of sun can help lift spirits, boost vitamin D, and decrease levels of depression.
What type of exercises can men do to stay fit during winter?
1. High-intensity interval training (HIIT): HIIT is a great way to stay active and work out different muscle groups during the cold winter months. It can involve a combination of running, jumping, push-ups and other bodyweight exercises.
2. Indoor cycling: Look for an indoor cycling class, or invest in a stationary bike to stay fit at home. It’s a great way to stay active during the cold winter months.
3. Yoga: Yoga can be a great way to stay flexible and maintain strength during the winter months. Try to find an indoor class that allows you to get in some activity without having to go out into the cold.
4. Swimming: Many gyms and community centers have heated pools and offer swimming classes. Look for a class that focuses on cardio exercises or incorporates weights for a full-body workout.
5. Weight training: Weight training is a great way to stay in shape during the winter months. Use small weights or bands to work out different muscle groups in the comfort of your own home.