As age increases, so too does the natural ageing process for skin. Dullness, wrinkles and other signs of ageing can begin to appear, which can lead to an unhappy reflection in the mirror. But fear not, as there are ways to keep your skin looking as youthful and healthy as possible even as you age.
The most important step you can take is to stay properly hydrated. Drinking water and eating fresh fruit and vegetables can keep your skin hydrated and glowing for longer. Replenishing your skin’s water reserves is essential for skin health and appearance.
Take Care of Your Skin
You should also look after your skin on the outside. Regular cleansing, exfoliation and moisturizing with bioactive natural products can help to protect and repair your skin’s surface, as well as maintaining a nourished and healthy looking complexion.
Making sure that you take care of yourself from the inside is important too. Cut down on processed foods and sugary snacks, and make sure that your diet contains all the essential vitamins, minerals and nutrients for skin health. Exercising regularly and getting enough quality sleep can also help to maintain healthy skin.
Finally, use of the right skincare products and treatments can help to keep skin looking beautiful as you age. The key ingredients that you should look out for are:
- Anti-oxidants – Help to protect skin from pollution and other environmental aggressors.
- Retinol/Retinoids – Increase skin cell turnover, helping to reduce wrinkles, age spots and other signs of ageing.
- Peptides – Stimulate collagen and elastin production, slower environmental damage.
- Hyaluronic Acid – Provides intense hydration and helps to plump the skin.
By following these tips and incorporating the right products and treatments into your skincare regime, you can ensure that your skin looks beautiful and healthy for years to come.
What are some good skin care habits to have as one gets older?
1. Cleanse your skin twice a day with a gentle cleanser that won’t dry or irritate your skin.
2. Be sure to use a moisturizer to keep skin hydrated, but not overly oily.
3. Wear sunscreen every day, even when indoors.
4. Use anti-aging serums and creams to help reduce the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines.
5. Incorporate nutrition into your skin care routine with foods that are rich in antioxidants and vitamins.
6. Exfoliate weekly to help remove dead skin cells and brighten the skin’s appearance.
7. Use a retinol product to help stimulate collagen production.
8. Get plenty of sleep and practice stress reducing techniques.
9. Avoid harsh skincare products, including soaps with harsh chemical ingredients.
What are the most important skin care habits to have as one ages?
1. Use Sunscreen: Sun protection is critical to maintaining healthy skin as we age. Always use a sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher when exposed to the sun.
2. Moisturize: Keeping skin hydrated is essential for keeping it soft and supple, so don’t forget to moisturize at least once a day.
3. Use Retinoids: Retinol helps to speed up cell turnover and increases collagen production, so regular use can help to reduce the appearance of wrinkles.
4. Stay Hydrated: Proper hydration helps flush out toxins and keeps the skin hydrated. Drinking at least 8-10 glasses of water a day can help ensure that your skin is getting the hydration it needs.
5. Don’t Smoke: Smoking can cause premature aging of the skin by reducing the amount of oxygen and nutrients that it gets. It can also make skin appear dull and wrinkled.
6. Exfoliate: Exfoliating once or twice a week can help keep your skin looking bright and clear.
7. Treat Your Skin Gently: Harsh cleansers, drying soaps, and abrasive scrubbing can strip away the skin’s natural oils and protective layer, leaving skin vulnerable to irritation and infection.
8. Reapply SPF Throughout the Day: Reapply your sunscreen every two hours to ensure that you are still getting the protection you need from the sun’s damaging rays.
What are the best anti-aging skin care products?
1. Neutrogena Healthy Skin Anti-Wrinkle Retinol Night Cream
2. Cetaphil Rich Hydrating Cream
3. Olay Regenerist Micro-Sculpting Cream
4. Obagi ELASTIderm Eye Treatment Cream
5. SkinCeuticals C E Ferulic
6. La Roche-Posay Redermic Retinol Anti-Aging Treatment
7. Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Ferulic + Retinol Triple Correction Eye Serum
8. Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair Night Moisturizer
9. L’Oréal Paris Age Perfect Hydra-Nutrition Manuka Honey All Over Balm
10. SkinMedica TNS Essential Serum
What are the most affordable anti-aging skin care products?
1. The Ordinary Retinol 0.2% in Squalane
2. Drunk Elephant Protini Polypeptide Cream
3. CeraVe Moisturizing Cream
4. NeoCutis MicroDay Moisturizing Day Cream SPF 30
5. The Inkey List Retinol Serum
6. Burt’s Bees Renewing Night Cream
7. Aveeno Positively Ageless Night Cream
8. RoC Retinol Correxion Deep Wrinkle Facial Filler
9. Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair Serum
10. Olay Regenerist Regenerating Serum