Everyone should strive to get the best nutrition they can, regardless of their financial situation. But when money is tight, it can be difficult to make healthy choices. While you may not be able to control your budget, you can certainly control how you shop and what you purchase. Here are some tips and tricks to help you eat healthy on a budget:
Create a Grocery List and Stick to It
Creating a grocery list before you head to the store can help you avoid impulse purchases, which can really add up. When creating your list, be sure to look for items that are in season and for sales or coupons. Also, don’t forget to consider making meals that have ingredients that overlap so you can save money.
Buy In Bulk
Buying in bulk can help you save money in the long run. The best items to buy in bulk are non-perishable like grains, nuts, and oats. You can also save money buy in bulk on items like spices and herbs, which can be expensive items if you buy them in small quantities.
Shop at Discount Grocery Stores
Shopping at discount grocery stores, such as Aldi and Lidl, can be a great way to save money on healthy foods. These stores have a great selection of fresh fruits and vegetables as well as healthy frozen options, so you can usually get everything you need without breaking the bank.
Grow Your Own Produce
If you have the space and the time, growing your own produce is a great way to eat healthy on a budget. You can grow your own fruits, vegetables, herbs, and spices in your own backyard, which can save you money in the long run.
Buy Frozen Produce
Frozen produce is often less expensive than fresh produce, and in some cases, it can be of higher quality. Not only that, but it can last up to a year in your freezer, so you can save money by stocking up on these items when they’re on sale.
Take Advantage of Meal Delivery Services
Meal delivery services are becoming increasingly popular, and they can be a great way to save time and money. These services can provide you with pre-prepared meals that are nutritious and portioned to the appropriate serving size.
Buy Generic Brands
Generic brands of foods can often be healthier than their more expensive counterparts and are usually less expensive as well. Compare the ingredients of generic brands to the leading brands and determine which is the healthier and more cost-effective option for you.
Eating healthy on a budget can be challenging, but with a little planning, you can find ways to make it work. Try following some of these tips and tricks to save money while still getting the nutrients your body needs.
What are some healthy foods that are also budget-friendly?
1. Beans – high in fiber and protein, and a great source of carbohydrates.
2. Oats – high in fiber, protein, and vitamins.
3. Potatoes – packed with vitamins and minerals, and relatively inexpensive.
4. Frozen vegetables – cost efficient, and filled with nutritional value.
5. Eggs – an affordable source of protein with many health benefits.
6. Bananas – inexpensive, and a great source of energy and nutrients.
7. Canned tuna – an easy and affordable way to get protein and Omega 3 fatty acids.
8. Apples – a great source of antioxidants, and generally inexpensive.
9. Greek yogurt – a great source of protein and calcium, and relatively inexpensive.
10. Brown rice – a nutrient-dense grain that’s a good source of fiber and protein.
What are some easy and healthy meals on a budget?
1. Vegetarian Chili: Cook black beans, diced onion, diced bell peppers, tomatoes, and chili powder in a pot on the stove. Serve with sliced avocado and cilantro.
2. Garlic Fried Rice: Heat oil in a skillet and add garlic and rice. Use frozen peas and carrots to add some veggies, and scramble in some eggs.
3. Baked Sweet Potatoes: Bake sweet potatoes in the oven until soft. Serve with Greek yogurt, cranberries, slivered almonds, and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
4. Baked Chicken with Roasted Vegetables: Bake chicken breasts in the oven and roast some vegetables (such as sweet potatoes, zucchini, and mushrooms).
5. Black Bean Tacos: Soften corn tortillas in the microwave, then fill with black beans, diced bell pepper, salsa, and shredded cheese. Top with avocado slices and a dollop of sour cream.
What inexpensive ingredients can be used to make healthy meals?
– Sweet Potatoes
– Grains (e.g., quinoa, barley, bulgar)
– Fresh Veggies (spinach, carrots, kale, peppers, onions)
– Lean Ground Turkey
– Canned Tuna
– Peanut Butter
– Olive Oil
– Greek Yogurt
– Canned Soups
– Herbs and Spices
What types of meals can be made with inexpensive ingredients?
2. Pasta dishes
3. Lentil or bean-based soups
4. Vegetable stir-fry
5. Baked potatoes
6. Baked chicken
7. Macaroni and cheese
9. Egg dishes
10. Rice and beans
12. Burrito bowls