Living a healthy lifestyle is essential for promoting longevity. Developing a fitness and exercise routine can help you accomplish this goal and make you feel great. To get started, keep these simple tips in mind:
The best way to stay on track is to have specific goals in mind for your fitness and diet. Decide how often you plan to work out and what types of exercises you will do. Goals should also extend to the diet. Adopting a new eating plan can be a great way to improve your energy level and nourish your body with the right nutrients.
Find a friend or join a support group who can help you stay accountable. Knowing that someone is there to cheer you on and provide motivation can be a great help. Also, sign up for fitness classes, competitions, or challenges – this will give you something to work toward and help keep you on track.
When it comes to getting into shape and staying healthy, nutrition is key. Eating a balanced diet will help to provide your body with the energy and nutrients it needs. To get started, try to:
- Eat from all food groups – Choose foods from all five major food groups (grains, fruits, vegetables, protein, and dairy)
- Eat nutrient-dense foods – such as dark leafy greens, legumes, whole grains, and lean proteins.
- Drink lots of water – and cut back on sugary drinks, as they are packed with empty calories.
- Limit processed foods – Choose whole, natural foods over pre-packaged and fast foods.
Make a Schedule
Planning your workouts and meals for the week can help you stay on track. Block out time in your schedule for fitness and meals, and have healthy snacks on hand for when you’re on the go. Additionally, exercising in the morning can be beneficial as it increases your energy and jump-starts your day.
Be sure to enjoy your journey. Don’t be too hard on yourself – progress takes time. Find activities that are fun and rewarding, such as hiking, yoga, dancing, or joining a team sport. Try to find something that you can look forward to, and switch things up to keep things fun.
Developing a fitness and exercise routine can help you stay healthy and energized. Be sure to keep these tips in mind as you get started and you will be well on your way to living a healthier life.
What exercises should I do to get into shape?
1. Running or brisk walking
7. Abdominal crunches
8. Single-leg deadlift
9. Medicine ball slams
10. Mountain climbers
11. Jump squats
12. Box jumps
13. Jump rope
15. Wall sits
What equipment do I need to get in shape?
To get in shape, you will need:
1. Workout Clothes – clothing appropriate for comfortable movement.
2. Cardiovascular Equipment – such as a treadmill, bike, stair-stepper, or elliptical machine.
3. Strength Training Equipment – such as free weights, resistance bands, or weight machines.
4. Fitness Tracker – such as a fitness watch or a heart rate monitor.
5. Foam Roller – helps cross-train muscles and ease tightness.
6. Exercise Mat – provides cushioning and a non-slip surface.
7. Access to a Gym – to access a variety of machines, equipment, classes, and trainers.
What exercises can I do to get in shape?
1. Squats: A great overall exercise for your lower body and core.
2. Lunges: A great exercise for your legs, especially the glutes and quads.
3. Push-ups: Strengthen your chest, arms and core.
4. Planks: Strengthen your core and help improve your posture.
5. Bicycle Crunches: Target your core from different directions.
6. Jumping Jacks: Great for improving your aerobic capacity and for burning calories.
7. Burpees: An effective way to burn calories and target multiple muscle groups.
8. Step-Ups: Work your quads and glutes, as well as your balance.
9. High Knees: Increase your heart rate and target your leg muscles.
10. Cross-body Mountain Climbers: Target both cardio and core strength.
What exercises should I avoid when trying to get in shape?
1. Generally exercises that involve high velocity, high impact or extreme weight-bearing should be avoided if you are just starting to get into shape. Examples are: Running, jump rope, lifting weights or box jumps.
2. Intensity exercises such as burpees, mountain climbers and kettlebell swings should be avoided as these can lead to injuries.
3. Isolated exercises such as bicep curls and leg extensions can lead to muscle imbalances and should be avoided.
4. Exercises with a high risk of injury, such as power cleans and jerks, should be avoided until you have built up strength and improved your technique.
5. Exercises that require you to move in more than one plane, such as rotational exercises, should be avoided if you are just starting an exercise program.
What exercises are good for getting in shape?
1. Cardio exercises such as running, jogging, swimming, biking, or playing a sport.
2. Strength training exercises such as weight lifting, pushups, pull-ups, planks and squats.
3. High-intensity interval training (HIIT) which combines short bursts of intense exercise with periods of active rest.
4. Core exercises such as crunches and back extensions.
5. Flexibility exercises such as yoga, Pilates, and foam roller exercises.
6. Balance exercises such as standing on one leg or walking in a straight line.