With so many skin care products on the market, it can be overwhelming trying to figure out the best regimen for your skin. A well-rounded skin care routine should cover cleansing, exfoliating, moisturizing, and protection. Read on to learn how to create a custom skincare regimen tailored to your needs.
Identify Your Skin Type
Before you begin shopping for products, it’s important to know your skin type. There are five basic skin types: oily, combination, normal, dry, and sensitive. Your skin type can change over time and even seasonally so it’s important to re-evaluate your skin’s needs every so often.
Cleaning your skin rids it from dirt and impurities. Depending on your skin type, you can opt for a foaming cleanser for oilier skin, a milky cleanser for combination skin, and a balm or oil-based cleanser for dry or sensitive skin.
Gentle exfoliation sloughs away dead skin cells, a process which helps skin look fresh and glowing. Physical exfoliants that use beads or granules are a good option for combination and oily skin, while chemical exfoliants with AHAs and BHAs are best for normal and sensitive skin.
Treatment helps address specific skin concerns such as redness, dark spots, and wrinkles. Serums are lightweight formulas that are formulated with active ingredients like Vitamin C, retinol, and peptides to target these skin concerns.
A well-formulated moisturizer helps your skin maintain the correct level of hydration. If you have combination or oily skin, look for an oil-free and lightweight moisturizer while dry and sensitive skin types should choose a cream-based moisturizer that provides ample hydration.
Sun protection is a must for any skincare routine. Choose a broad-spectrum SPF with at least SPF 30 that provides protection against UVA and UVB rays. Make sure to apply it every day after moisturizing and reapply every two hours when outdoors.
Your Custom Skincare Routine
Here’s a checklist for creating a custom skincare regimen for your radiant and glowing skin:
- Identify your skin type and adjust your regimen accordingly.
- Cleanse your skin to remove dirt and impurities.
- Exfoliate gently to remove dead skin cells.
- Treat specific skin concerns with serums.
- Moisturize your skin to maintain hydration.
- Protect your skin with a broad-spectrum sunscreen.
With the right regimen and regular use, you’ll be on your way to glowing and healthier skin.
What are the best natural ingredients for a custom skincare regimen?
1. Aloe Vera- has anti-inflammatory properties that helps to soothe and heal the skin.
2. Tea Tree Oil- has antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties that can be used to fight acne.
3. Coconut Oil- a natural moisturizer for dry skin, and can help to reduce the appearance of wrinkles.
4. Jojoba oil- helps to balance the skin’s natural oil production and is an anti-inflammatory.
5. Witch Hazel- an astringent that can help reduce redness and inflammation.
6. Apple Cider Vinegar- helps to balance the pH levels of the skin.
7. Honey- antibacterial properties as well as natural humectants that help to draw moisture into the skin.
8. Turmeric- has anti-inflammatory properties and can help to even out skin tone.
9. Lemon Juice- a natural antiseptic that can help to reduce the appearance of scars.
10. Almond Oil- full of vitamin E and fatty acids which helps keep skin hydrated while restoring its overall balance.
What natural ingredients are best for a skin type?
•For oily skin: Lemon juice, raw honey, apple cider vinegar, green tea, and tea tree oil.
•For dry skin: Coconut oil, avocado, aloe vera, shea butter, and jojoba oil.
•For combination skin: Jojoba oil, witch hazel, apple cider vinegar, honey, and oats.
•For sensitive skin: oatmeal, aloe vera, chamomile, honey, and lavender essential oil.
What are the best natural skin care ingredients for sensitive skin?
1. Aloe Vera
2. Argan Oil
3. Coconut Oil
4. Jojoba Oil
5. Shea Butter
6. Rosehip Oil
9. Green Tea
10. Chamomile Essential oil
11. Lavender essential oil
12. Witch Hazel
What ingredients should be avoided in natural skin care for sensitive skin?
1. Fragrance ingredients, such as parfum and phthalates.
2. Harsh exfoliants like walnut shell powder and pumice.
3. Essential oils, such as menthol and peppermint.
4. Chemical UV filters, like oxybenzone.
5. Artificial colors and dyes.
6. Denatured alcohol.
7. Formaldehyde-releasing preservatives.
8. Synthetic emollients, like mineral oil, petroleum jelly, and synthetic lanolin.
What are some of the best natural skin care products for sensitive skin?
1. Weleda Skin Food: This thick, ultra-nourishing cream is great for moisturizing very dry skin, including irritated and sensitive skin.
2. Pai Camellia & Rose Gentle Hydrating Cleanser: This cleanser has a creamy, non-foaming formula that is gentle enough for sensitive skin.
3. Juice Beauty Green Apple Age Defy Moisturizer: Made with organic ingredients and natural fruit acids, this moisturizer is great for providing long-lasting hydration to sensitive skin without irritation.
4. Ursa Major Fantastic Face Wash: This natural face wash is made with aloe and ginger, which hydrate and soothe the skin without stripping it.
5. Kari Gran Essential Serum: This facial oil is excellent for calming and nourishing sensitive skin.