In today’s economic climate, eating healthily on a budget is something that a lot of people need to do. But it is still possible to stick to a healthy diet without spending a fortune. Here are some tips to help:
Planning meals in advance helps to plan your budget as well as healthy eating. Set aside some time to write a grocery list and stick to it in the store. You can also make a plan of your meals and snacks for the week ahead.
Buy in Bulk
Buying larger amounts of non-perishable food items such as canned or dried fruits and vegetables, beans, grains, and nuts can help save money. You can also purchase frozen fruits and vegetables which are often cheaper than fresh.
Buying foods that are in season is one of the best ways to save money on healthy food. Local markets and farmers markets are usually much cheaper than a regular grocery store and the produce is usually more fresh.
Cook in Bulk
Cooking meals in bulk is a great way to save time and money. If you cook extra, you can portion and freeze the extra for another meal during the week. This means that you have more healthy options and won’t be tempted to eat out.
Finding creative ways to make meals out of the same ingredients can help keep your grocery bill down. You can also, use recipes that let you stretch ingredients by adding bulk such as beans or vegetables.
Eat At Home
Eating out can be expensive, so it’s best to stay away from restaurants and fast food if you’re trying to save money. Make meals out of ingredients you have in your pantry or make dinner from leftovers.
Look for Deals and Coupons
Keep an eye out for sales, deals, and coupons in local newspapers or flyers. A lot of stores also have special offers and discounts on healthy foods. Just remember to stay away from unhealthy snacks or foods that are on sale.
Eating healthily on a budget is possible, just remember to plan ahead and be creative. Finding sale items, shopping seasonally, buying in bulk and cooking in bulk are all good ways to keep the costs down.
What are some healthy meal ideas that are cheap?
1. Lentil Soup: Lentils are incredibly affordable and make a great base for a hearty soup. Serve with a green salad or a side of whole-wheat bread.
2. Baked Potato Bar: Bake potatoes in the oven, then top with your favorite vegetables, such as broccoli, shredded cheese, and salsa.
3. Burritos: Fill whole-wheat tortillas with black beans, rice, cheese, and vegetables of your choice. Serve with a side of salsa or guacamole.
4. Stir-Fry: Make a stir-fry with vegetables and your protein source of choice, such as tofu or tempeh. Serve over brown rice or quinoa.
5. Pasta Primavera: Make a quick and nutritious pasta dish with your favorite vegetables and a creamy sauce. Use whole-wheat pasta for added fiber.
What are some quick and easy healthy meal ideas?
1. Tuna salad wrap made with lettuce, tomatoes, bell peppers, onions, and olive oil-based dressing.
2. Baked sweet potatoes with a side of black beans and salsa.
3. Overnight oats with fresh berries, sliced almonds and honey.
4. Grilled chicken breast salad with spinach, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, feta cheese and a light vinaigrette dressing.
5. Speedy stir-fry made with fresh vegetables, lean meats, and a no-sugar-added Asian-style sauce.
6. High-protein breakfast smoothie made with almond milk, banana, Greek yogurt, and protein powder.
7. Turkey burgers with grilled peppers and onions, served in lettuce wrap buns.
8. Garden veggie omelet made with bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, and feta cheese, topped with avocado slices.
9. Cauliflower fried rice with scrambled eggs and diced vegetables.
10. Grilled salmon with a side of roasted Brussels sprouts and quinoa.
What are some healthy meal recipes for weight loss?
1. Cauliflower Crust Turkey and Veggie Pizza
-1/2 head of cauliflower
-1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
-1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
-1/4 teaspoon Italian seasonings
-1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
-1/2 cup tomato sauce
-1/4 cup cooked diced turkey
-1/4 onion, chopped
-1/4 cup diced bell peppers
-1/4 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 475F.
2. Cut the cauliflower head into small florets and pulse in a food processor until it resembles rice.
3. Place the cauliflower “rice” in a microwave-safe bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Microwave for about 8 minutes, or until the cauliflower is tender.
4. Let cool for a few minutes then scoop the cauliflower rice into a kitchen towel and squeeze out as much moisture as possible.
5. In a medium bowl, combine the cauliflower rice with egg, garlic powder, Parmesan, and Italian seasoning.
6. Grease a 9-inch oven-safe skillet with cooking spray and press the cauliflower mixture into an even layer on the bottom of the skillet.
7. Bake the pizza crust in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
8. Remove the pizza crust from the oven and spread tomato sauce over the top of it.
9. Top with the mushrooms, diced turkey, onion, bell peppers, and mozzarella cheese.
10. Bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
2. Cilantro Lime Salmon
-2 6-ounce salmon fillets
-1 teaspoon olive oil
-1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
-2 tablespoons lime juice
-2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
-1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375F.
2. Grease a shallow dish with olive oil.
3. Place the salmon fillets in the dish and drizzle with olive oil.
4. Sprinkle the garlic powder, lime juice and cilantro over the salmon.
5. Top with black pepper and bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until salmon is cooked through.
6. Garnish with additional chopped cilantro, if desired.
3. Lentil and Veggie Soup
-2 tablespoons olive oil
-2 carrots, diced
-1 onion, diced
-1 celery stalk, diced
-2 cloves garlic, minced
-1 teaspoon dried oregano
-1 teaspoon paprika
-1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
-6 cups vegetable broth
-1/2 cup dried green lentils
-2 cups chopped kale
-1/4 cup freshly chopped parsley
-Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat.
2. Add the carrots, onion, celery, and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
3. Stir in the oregano, paprika, and red pepper flakes and cook for 1 more minute.
4. Pour in the vegetable broth and lentils and bring to a boil.
5. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until the lentils are tender.
6. Stir in the kale, parsley, salt, and pepper and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
7. Serve hot.