The holiday season can be a trying time to stay motivated with fitness goals. With shopping, baking, and family gatherings taking up your time and energy, it can be hard to stay on track with a consistent workout routine. But have no fear! Here are some tips to help make sure your fitness goals remain a priority through the holiday season:
Stay Consistent with Scheduling
Set yourself a schedule and be consistent with it. Have days and times allotted for working out, as this will make it almost as routine as brushing your teeth. For example, aim to work out either first thing in the morning or right after work, on Mondays and Wednesdays, and then Thursdays and Saturdays.
Having an Accountability Partner
Having a friend or family member associated with your workouts can help keep you accountable and committed to staying consistent. If you’re feeling uninspired, an accountability partner is a great way to keep each other motivated.
Getting Creative with the Time Available
If it feels like there’s not enough time in the day to get to the gym or even work on fitness goals at home, utilize the extra time you do have, even if it’s as little as 10-15 minutes. Use this time to stretch, do body-weight exercises, or do some laps around the house. Any activity is better than no activity.
Eating Mindfully and Treat Yourself
- Eating Mindfully: Be aware of what you’re eating. Be mindful when it comes to the number of holiday treats and sweets you’re consuming. Consuming too many sugary foods or processed foods can put a damper on your workout schedule.
- Treat Yourself: With that said, it’s OK to treat yourself in moderation! Allow yourself a few treats here and there. Just be sure to balance any sugary treats with healthier ones.
Last but not least, remember to be kind to yourself. Understand that life is unpredictable and you’re only human! A missed workout is nothing to beat yourself up over. The most important thing is to get back on track in a timely manner.
Stay Positive and Go Easy on Yourself
Having a positive outlook and staying motivated is key. Surround yourself with people who cheer you on and be sure to cheer yourself on, as well. And remember, it’s OK to give yourself a break if needed. In the end, you know your goals best and what’s achievable for your fitness level.
While it’s tricky to keep up with fitness goals during the holidays, it is possible. Utilize the tips above and you’ll be on track to meet your fitness goals in no time.
What supplements can help maintain fitness goals during the holidays?
1. Protein powder: A high quality protein powder can help you maintain muscle and energy levels, while providing antioxidants and added dietary benefits.
2. Fish Oil: Fish oil supplements are packed with essential fatty acids, which can help reduce inflammation, boost the immune system, and support overall cardiovascular health.
3. Vitamin D3: Vitamin D3 helps to keep bones and muscles strong and healthy, while also supporting a healthy immune system.
4. Magnesium: Magnesium helps to regulate muscle and nerve function, energy production, and blood sugar levels, making it essential for healthy muscles and healthy energy levels.
5. Creatine: Creatine is a naturally-occurring compound in the body which helps to increase strength and muscular power, helping you to maintain an active, healthy lifestyle.
6. Probiotics: Prebiotics and probiotics can help to maintain a balanced digestive system, keeping the body functioning smoothly and continuing the process of absorbing valuable nutrients from food and supplements.
7. Multivitamin: A high-quality daily multivitamin is a great way to ensure that your body is getting enough vitamins and minerals to stay healthy over the holidays.
What are some tips for staying fit during the holidays?
1. Make Exercise a Priority: Incorporate regular physical activity into your daily routine and find small blocks of time to do some type of physical activity when possible.
2. Eat Mindfully: Fill your plate with mostly fresh fruits and vegetables and keep the portion sizes of carbohydrate-rich foods and unhealthy fats to a minimum.
3. Stick to your Routine: Develop an early morning habit or alternative routine to keep your body and mind in shape during the holidays.
4. Get Some Rest: Maintain a consistent sleep and wake schedule throughout the holiday season and look for ways to reduce stress by taking time for yourself.
5. Cut Back on Alcohol: Limit or forgo alcohol, a major source of added calories, and if you do drink, make sure to stay hydrated with water.
6. Get Enough Protein: Prioritize lean protein sources like eggs, nuts and plant-based proteins at meals and snacks to boost energy, help you feel satiated, and provide essential nutrients.
7. Stay Connected: Connect with family and friends to spread holiday cheer and build strong emotional bonds.
What are some healthy holiday snacks?
1. Roast almonds and cranberries
2. Baked sweet potato chips
3. Dark chocolate dipped fruit
4. Whole wheat cranberry scones
5. Roasted chickpeas
6. Spinach dip and vegetable sticks
7. Trail mix
8. Celery and peanut butter
9. Popcorn flavored with herbs and spices
10. Apple slices and cinnamon yogurt dip