No matter what age you are, your body needs regular exercise to stay healthy. Regular physical activity strengthens your heart, muscles, and bones and keeps your body in shape. From improving your mood to enhancing your overall health, the benefits of regular exercise are undeniable. Here are some of the most important benefits of exercising regularly.
Boosts Immune System
Physical activity helps boost your immune system and decreases inflammation. Regular exercise can even help prevent illnesses like the common cold. When you exercise, your body releases endorphins, which help reduce stress and improve your mental health.
Improves Brain Function
Getting active increases blood flow not only to your muscles, but to your brain, too. This boost of oxygen and nutrients helps improve concentration, attention span, and even reaction time—all important skills for success in school or work.
Improves Mental Health
With regular exercise, endorphins are released in the brain, positively impacting your mental and emotional wellbeing. Exercising regularly can help reduce depression and anxiety, as well as boost self-esteem and overall mood.
Increases Energy Levels
When you exercise regularly, your body’s energy levels will increase. Regular physical activity helps train your body to become more efficient in storing and using energy, leading to increased stamina.
Strengthens Bones and Muscles
Regular physical activity helps to strengthen bones and muscles, reducing the risk of bone-related illnesses such as osteoporosis. Improved muscle strength also helps with coordination and balance, reducing the risk of falls.
Helps Control Weight
Exercise helps your body use energy more efficiently, burning excess calories and helping you to control your weight. Regular exercise also helps prevent weight gain and obesity, as well as other medical conditions like Type 2 diabetes.
Physical activity can help reduce stress and improve your outlook on life. Exercise helps to reduce cortisol levels in the body, the hormone which causes stress and anxiety.
There are countless benefits to exercising regularly. From reducing stress to strengthening bones and muscles, regular exercise can help improve your overall health and wellbeing. Start making physical activity part of your routine and reap the rewards of a healthier life today!
“What are some tips for starting a healthy lifestyle?”
1. Start slowly: Take small steps to slowly incorporate healthy habits into your life. Making too many changes at once can be overwhelming and can lead to burnout.
2. Make realistic goals: Try to set achievable goals that you can actually reach, such as walking 15 minutes a day or drinking one extra glass of water a day.
3. Track your progress: Writing down your progress can help you stay motivated and on track.
4. Set yourself up for success: Prepare healthy snacks and meals ahead of time so you can reach for them when you’re hungry.
5. Find an activity you enjoy: Exercise doesn’t need to be boring! Find an activity you look forward to, like going for a walk or run outside, or joining a dance or yoga class.
6. Get enough sleep: Aim to get 7-9 hours of quality sleep per night. Not getting enough sleep can have a huge impact on your overall health.
7. Avoid processed and sugary foods: These can cause an imbalance in your blood sugar and depending on their ingredients, can contribute to weight gain. Reach for healthier and more nutritious alternatives such as fresh fruits and vegetables.
8. Don’t be too hard on yourself: It’s ok to make mistakes. Don’t be discouraged if you slip up, just stay focused on your long-term goal.
What changes do I need to make to start a healthy lifestyle?
1. Increase your physical activity – Aim for at least 30- minutes of moderate- to vigorous-intensity exercise five days a week, or 150 minutes per week. This can be broken up into short 10-15 minute sessions throughout your day.
2. Eat a nutritious balanced diet – Replacing processed foods with more fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, lean sources of protein and healthy fats can help promote a healthier body and lifestyle. Consuming fiber-rich foods like fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes, nuts and seeds can help keep you feeling fuller longer and provide energy to fuel your day.
3. Get enough sleep – Aim for seven to nine hours of sleep per night. Prolonged sleep deprivation can lead to an increase in stress hormones, an increased risk of depression, and an increased risk of obesity.
4. Manage stress – Make time in your day for relaxation and meditation. Find ways to manage stress such as yoga, deep breathing exercises, or spending time outdoors.
5. Avoid unhealthy habits – Limit your intake of alcohol, cigarettes, and recreational drug use. Consuming these substances in excess can have a negative impact on your health and well-being.
What healthy foods should I be eating?
-Whole grains such as oats, quinoa, and brown rice
-Fruits and vegetables
-Lean proteins such as fish, poultry, eggs, beans, and nuts
-Healthy fats such as olive oil, avocado, and nut butters
-Yogurt and low-fat milk
-Herbs and spices