Start Strong – Creating the Right Exercise & Fitness Routine for You
Exercising and maintaining a fitness routine can feel like a challenge for many. But it doesn’t have to be. Making simple lifestyle changes such as adding in small bursts of exercise throughout the day or planning a fitness routine that suits your individual needs can help you feel more active, energized and satisfied. Here are a few tips to help you create the right exercise and fitness routine for you.
Prioritize Your Time
If you struggle fitting in your fitness routine, one of the most important things you can do is prioritize your time and devote the necessary amount of time to your fitness. Whether that means setting aside a few hours per week or getting up earlier in the morning, it’s important to make a schedule that suits your lifestyle and stick to it.
Be Adaptable & Adjust
One of the best ways to make sure you stay consistent with your fitness routine is to have an open mind and be willing to adjust. Whether it’s adapting to a new program or simply changing the time you train, having an adaptable mindset makes it easier to stay motivated and focus on the positive changes you’re making to your health.
Find Your “Why”
Identifying the ‘why’ behind your fitness journey is important for staying motivated and on track. Ask yourself what have been the reasons for why you started this journey, and write them down. Doing so will help remind you of your motivation should you experience any setbacks along the way.
Set Realistic Goals
Often the biggest challenge when starting out is to stay motivated. One way to do so is by setting realistic goals that can help keep you motivated and feeling accomplished when achieved.
Choose an Exercise & Fitness Routine that Fits Your Style
Your fitness routine should be tailored to the unique needs and goals of your body. When selecting an exercise and fitness routine, it is important to find something that fits your lifestyle and preferences; for example, if you prefer to exercise alone, try running or yoga as opposed to team sports or group classes.
Staying hydrated is essential when exercising. Aim to drink between two to three liters of water a day to replenish fluids lost during exercise.
Proper nutrition is essential for fuelling your body and helping you reach your fitness goals. Eating balanced meals with plenty of whole grains, fruits, vegetables, lean proteins and healthy fats will help provide your body with the nutrients it needs to stay strong and healthy.
Rest & Recover
Allow for time for proper rest and recovery between workouts. Giving your body time to recover and repair itself is just as important as the intensity and duration of our workouts.
You can start your fitness journey by taking small steps and making small changes over time. Following these tips and creating the right exercise and fitness routine for yourself can help you stay motivated, energized and reach your fitness goals.
What are the benefits of having a regular exercise routine?
1. Improved mental health: Regular exercise is known to provide mental benefits, such as reducing stress and anxiety, improving mood, alleviating depression, and promoting mental alertness.
2. Stronger muscles and bones: Exercise can improve your muscle mass, strengthen your bones, and help delay the effects of age-related muscle loss and bone deterioration.
3. Increased energy and better sleep: If you exercise regularly, your body will become more efficient at converting and storing energy, giving you the “fuel” you need to get through your day. Exercise can also help you sleep better at night.
4. Improved heart health: Regular exercise, coupled with a healthy diet, can reduce your risk of heart disease by improving your cholesterol levels and decreasing your risk of hypertension.
5. Promote weight loss: Exercise helps you burn calories and fat, leading to weight loss. Regular exercise can also help you maintain a healthy body weight.
6. Enhanced Immune System: Regular exercise can help ward off colds and flu by boosting your immune system and white blood cell count.
What types of exercises should be included in a regular exercise routine?
1. Cardio Exercises: Walking, jogging, running, cycling, swimming, rowing
2. Strength Exercises: Squats, lunges, planks, push-ups, pull-ups, weightlifting
3. Flexibility Exercises: Stretching, yoga, foam rolling
4. Balance Exercises: Single leg stands, standing hops
5. Core Exercises: Pilates, crunches, planks, leg lifts
6. High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT): Alternating periods of intense exercise with periods of rest or moderate exercise.
What is the recommended amount of exercise per day?
The recommended amount of exercise per day is at least 150 minutes of moderate intensity aerobic physical activity per week and muscle-strengthening activities on two or more days a week. Additionally, it is also recommended to break up this exercise into smaller intervals of at least 10 minutes each.