Eating healthy is a lifestyle choice that can lead to numerous benefits, both physical and mental. Below are some of the advantages associated with having a healthier diet, as well as some tips to get started.
The Benefits of Eating Healthy
1. Improved physical health
- Improves heart health, including reducing within and increasing HDL (good) cholesterol
- Aids in weight management, due to the better nutrient absorption and lack of unhealthy snacks
- Increases energy and aids in better digestion and regularity
- Builds and maintains strong bones, muscles, and skin
2. Improved mental health:
- Better mood due to the release of positive hormones that come with a healthy diet
- Reduced stress due to the stress reducing vitamins and nutrients contained in a good diet
- Increased concentration and focus from the better brain health that comes from eating well
How to Get Started
Eating healthy can seem like a difficult thing to do, but it doesn’t have to be! Here are some tips to get started:
- Start small – changing your diet overnight can be too much to handle. Consider switching from sweet snacks to healthier options like fruits or vegetable sticks.
- Make a meal plan – Once you have some healthier snacks down, you can start thinking about your meals. Make a plan each week to make meal prep easier!
- Don’t go overboard – eating healthy doesn’t mean depriving yourself of treats. Include them in moderation, but be mindful of how much you have.
- Stay consistent – consistency is key when it comes to eating healthy! Don’t give up if you have a bad day, or you miss a meal – just pick yourself up and start anew the next day.
- Ask your doctor – Depending on various factors, such as medical history, age, and more, your doctor may have some advice on what kind of diet would be best for you.
In conclusion, eating healthy can be a great way to improve both physical and mental health. Start small, stay consistent, and make sure to ask your doctor for advice, and before you know it you will be on your way to a healthier you!
What are some easy and healthy meal ideas?
1. Quinoa Salad with Roasted Vegetables – Cook quinoa according to package instructions and combine with roasted vegetables of your choice (zucchini, peppers, broccoli, etc. with a drizzle of olive oil and some garlic). Top with feta cheese for extra flavor!
2. Baked Salmon with Garlic Lemon Butter – Bake some salmon seasoned with salt and pepper and top with a garlic lemon butter. Serve with a side of steamed veggies.
3. Veggie Stir-Fry – Heat some oil in a pan and sauté a variety of chopped veggies. Serve with a side of brown rice or quinoa.
4. Burrito Bowls – Cook some brown rice or quinoa and top with black beans, diced tomatoes, shredded cabbage, avocado, and a drizzle of your favorite dressing.
5. Veggie Omelette – Whisk some eggs together and pour into a hot skillet. Top with your choice of cooked veggies like mushrooms, spinach, bell peppers, and onions. Serve with a side of fresh fruit for a protein-packed breakfast.
What are some affordable healthy meal ideas?
1. Baked Potato topped with Greek Yogurt and Veggies
2. Zucchini Noodle Bowl with a PB and Banana sauce
3. Grilled Veggie Wrap with Hummus
4. Lentil Quinoa Bowl with Veggies and a light dressing
5. Egg White Omelet with Spinach, Red Peppers, and Mushrooms
6. Cauliflower Fried Rice with Veggies
7. Roasted Vegetables over Quinoa
8. Avocado Toast topped with Beans and Greens
9. Mason Jar Salad with Baby Spinach and Chickpeas
10. Beans and Rice with a side of Veggies
What healthy meal options can be made quickly and cheaply?
1. Spaghetti and meatballs: Boil spaghetti noodles and heat up a jar of marinara sauce and sautéed meatballs in a skillet.
2. Broiled Salmon: Broil fresh salmon with garlic and lemon pepper. Serve with a side of roasted vegetables and a side salad.
3. Vegetable and Bean Burritos: Toast whole-wheat tortillas and fill them with canned black beans, cooked frozen vegetables, and shredded cheese. Serve with a side of fresh salsa and yogurt.
4. Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup: Toast slices of whole-wheat bread for a healthy grilled cheese sandwich. Serve with a cup of your favorite canned tomato soup.
5. Veggie Pizza: Top whole-wheat pitas with marinara sauce, shredded cheese, and your favorite roasted veggies. Bake in an oven at 375 degrees until the cheese is melted.
What recipes can be made with inexpensive ingredients?
1. Sweet Potato Pancakes
2. Egg Muffins with Veggies
3. Overnight Oats
4. Chickpea Taco Salad
5. Cold Peanut Noodle Salad
6. Curried Lentils
7. Cauliflower Fried Rice
8. Veggie Fajitas
9. Greek Yogurt Popsicles
10. Zucchini Noodle Bowl S Auté Ed with Garlic and Tomatoes.
What are some easy recipes using common pantry ingredients?
1. Sautéed Pork and Pasta: Sauté some diced pork and garlic in olive oil. Add a can of diced tomatoes, and some seasonings. Simmer for 15 minutes. Serve over cooked pasta.
2. Three Bean Salad: Mix together one can each of rinsed and drained cannellini beans, black beans, and chickpeas. Add some diced red onion, minced garlic, and chopped parsley. Toss with olive oil, lemon juice, and sea salt.
3. Chickpea Curry: Sauté diced onion, garlic, and ginger in olive oil. Add a can of chickpeas, some curry powder, diced carrots, and a can of coconut milk. Simmer for 20 minutes. Serve over cooked rice.
4. Peanut Butter and Banana Smoothie: Blend together a banana, a spoonful of peanut butter, some almond milk, and a tablespoon of honey. Add some ice cubes if desired.
5. Tuna Salad: Mix together a can of tuna, some diced red onion, chopped celery, and a spoonful of mayonnaise. Add some seasonings if desired. Serve onbread or crackers.