The New Year is a great opportunity for us to set ourselves new goals and resolutions. If you’re looking to make a positive change this year, why not make exercise your New Year’s resolution?
Getting into routine, regular exercise can have so many benefits for both your physical and mental health. Here are a few of the key advantages:
Improved Physical and Mental Wellbeing
Exercising regularly can help you reach and maintain a healthy weight, build muscle mass and improve your fitness levels. Not only this, but regular physical activity can provide positive mental health benefits such as boosting endorphins (the brain’s feel-good chemicals), aiding concentration, and improving your mood.
Connect with Others
During exercise you have the opportunity to socialize, meet others with similar interests, and give yourself a break from day-to-day stress, such as work and other commitments. Being part of an exercise group can be a great way to stay motivated, enjoy yourself and make friends in the process.
Achieve Your Goals
Regular physical activity provides lots of improved health benefits and is a great way to reach specific goals, whether that’s to lose weight, gain muscle or improve your endurance. When you’re setting new fitness goals, think about what’s achievable and start with small steps, setting yourself achievable targets.
Benefits From a Variety of Exercise
It’s important to choose an exercise plan that works for you. Not all exercise needs to be arduous or done in the gym; there are lots of different physical pursuits for you to try, such as:
- Yoga – a great way to improve flexibility, muscle strength and promote relaxation.
- Swimming – ideal for all ages, with low impact, no joint stress and great cardiovascular exercise.
- Cycling – an effective way to burn calories, get into nature and great for social distanced outdoor activities.
Whatever type of physical activity you choose, the most effective way to make exercise part of your regular routine is to have fun.
This New Year, make exercise your resolution and enjoy the many long lasting health and wellbeing benefits.
What are the health benefits of making exercise a regular part of your routine?
1. Improved cardiovascular health: Regular exercise strengthens your heart muscle and improves your body’s ability to deliver oxygen and nutrients to all its cells. This helps reduce your risk of heart attack, stroke, and other diseases associated with poor cardiovascular health.
2. Improved weight management: Exercise can help you lose weight, gain muscle and maintain your ideal body weight.
3. Improved mental health: Exercise releases endorphins, which can reduce stress, lift your mood and improve your self-esteem.
4. Improved sleep: Not only does regular exercise help tire your body and make it easier to fall asleep, but it can also improve sleep quality.
5. Improved cognitive function: Exercise increases blood flow to the brain, which can help improve concentration, alertness and memory.
6. Strengthened immune system: Exercise can boost your immune system and help your body fight off infection and injury. It can also reduce inflammation, which is linked to many chronic diseases such as arthritis, diabetes, and cancer.
What are the positive effects of daily exercise?
1. Improved mood: Regular exercise releases endorphins, which are hormones that lift your mood. Exercise can also lower levels of the body’s stress hormones, such as adrenaline and cortisol.
2. Better sleep: Exercise can help you fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer.
3. Increased energy levels: Exercise increases the circulation of oxygen through your body, enabling your cells to burn more calories while you’re awake and produce less fatigue-causing toxins.
4. Increased strength and endurance: Exercise helps build muscle and strengthens bones and joints.
5. Reduced risk of chronic diseases: Exercise can help lower your risk of developing heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes, and some forms of cancer.
6. Better brain function: Exercise increases the flow of blood to the brain and boosts overall cognitive performance. It can also improve focus, concentration and alertness. And, exercise can even help keep your brain healthy as you age.
What are the benefits of daily exercise for mental health?
The benefits of daily exercise for mental health include improved mood, increased self-esteem, increased energy levels, improved focus and concentration, and improved sleep quality. Exercise can also provide an outlet for stress and can help to reduce anxiety and depression symptoms. Exercise can also provide a sense of accomplishment and help build self-confidence. Additionally, exercise can increase the production of hormones such as serotonin and dopamine, which can help individuals to feel more relaxed and at peace.
What exercises are good for mental health?
1. Meditation: Regularly dedicating time to practice meditation has been linked to lower levels of stress and improved concentration. Regular practice can help reduce feelings of anxiousness and improve mood.
2. Yoga: From gentle stretching to more vigorous forms of physical activity, the meditative effects of yoga can help one to relax and focus on mindful breathing.
3. Tai Chi: The slow, fluid movements of tai chi can help reduce stress and increase emotional well-being.
4. Running or Jogging: Exercise has been found to be an effective antidepressant for many people. It also helps reduce stress and releases endorphins that can help improve mood.
5. Brisk Walking: Taking a brisk walk is not just good for your physical health, it can also help lift your mood, reduce stress and boost your levels of relaxation.
6. Journaling: Having an outlet for emotion and self-expression is key for mental health. Keeping a journal is a great way to document thoughts and feelings to gain unique insights and perspective on life.