Choosing natural skin care products is steadily becoming the norm rather than the exception. Not only can using all-natural products for skin care be far less expensive than using conventional cosmetics and treatments, but it’s also non-toxic and more sustainable. There are countless benefits of “green beauty” that make it a great choice for anyone looking to improve their skin.
One of the biggest benefits of natural skin care is its use of natural, non-toxic ingredients. Every year, the average person is exposed to about 500 different kinds of chemicals. This is because many common beauty products contain harsh chemicals that can be hazardous to your health. Natural products eliminate these potentially harmful ingredients, and instead use natural ingredients like essential oils, herbal extracts, and botanical ingredients that have been proven safe.
If you have a skin condition like eczema, or are simply prone to sensitivity, all-natural skin care products can be a lifesaver. Many all-natural products are also designed specifically to target dryness and irritation, so they can be great for those with chronic skin issues. Additionally, some natural products are pH-balanced, so they won’t disrupt the delicate balance of your skin’s pH levels.
By opting for natural skin care, you’re not only helping your skin, but you’re also helping the planet. Natural skin care products are typically made with fewer harsh chemicals, so they’re less likely to end up in the environment. Additionally, natural skincare companies tend to be more mindful in terms of packaging and recyclability, so you know you’re making a more sustainable choice.
How to Get Glowing Skin Sans Chemicals
- Start with an oil or balm cleanser. Switching to a natural oil or balm cleanser can be a great way to reduce the amount of chemicals that you use on your skin. An oil or balm cleanser is also gentle and hydrating, so it’s great for those with sensitive skin.
- Choose all-natural products. When shopping for natural skin care products, it’s a good idea to look for products that are certified organic and use only natural, non-toxic ingredients. To ensure that your products are as natural as possible, avoid anything that has a long list of ingredients.
- Exfoliate. Exfoliating your skin is an important part of any skin care routine. Natural methods of exfoliation, such as using a homemade scrub or an exfoliating face mask, are much gentler and less abrasive than conventional chemical exfoliants.
- Avoid synthetic fragrances. Synthetic fragrances can contain a host of potentially harmful chemicals. Stick to products that are either unscented or that use natural essential oils and extracts to achieve a pleasant scent.
Natural skin care offers many health and environmental benefits, and with a few simple changes, you too can achieve glowing skin sans chemicals!
What ingredients should be avoided in natural skincare products?
1. Synthetic fragrances
3. Formaldehyde and formaldehyde-releasing compounds
4. Petroleum-based ingredients
6. Sodium Lauryl/Laureth Sulphate (SLS/SLES)
8. Mercury and other heavy metals
9. Talc and other synthetic dyes and colors
10. Bisphenols (BPA and BPS)
11. Oxybenzone-based sunscreens
By avoiding these ingredients, you can ensure that the natural skin care products you use are truly natural!
What is the difference between natural and synthetic skincare products?
Natural skincare products are those made from primarily natural or organic ingredients, whereas synthetic skincare products are those that are made from artificial chemicals and lab-created ingredients. Natural skincare products tend to be gentler on your skin and often provide better nutrition for it, whereas synthetic skincare products tend to be more powerful but might cause skin irritation.
What are the pros and cons of natural and synthetic skincare products?
Pros of Natural Skincare Products:
• generally milder and gentler on skin
• derived from plant and botanical sources, so they are hypoallergenic and chemical free
• less likely to cause skin reactions like redness and sensitivity
• can naturally provide protection from UV rays, free radicals, and other environmental damage
Cons of Natural Skincare Products:
• may not be as effective on more severe skin problems like acne or wrinkles
• can be hard to find and more expensive than other products
• might require storage in cool, dry conditions and regular use to maintain effectiveness
Pros of Synthetic Skincare Products:
• can provide higher concentrations of active ingredients that can effectively deliver targeted results
• many are designed to be intense and corrective, making them good for addressing chronic skin issues
• easily available online, at drug stores, and other retail locations
Cons of Synthetic Skincare Products:
• often contain synthetic fragrances and chemical ingredients, so they may irritate or cause allergic reactions
• usually not as mild and gentle on skin as natural products
• typically cannot penetrate deeply into the skin, so the results may not be substantial