Winters are known for cold, dry weather conditions and for many people, this means dealing with dry, flaky, irritated skin. That is why it’s important to use the right skincare products to help keep your skin healthy, soothed and nourished during wintertime.
Cleansing is an important part of a skin care routine and during winter, it is essential to look for cleansers that won’t strip away the skin’s essential oils and moisture. The best cleansers to use are those that are:
- Gently cleansing – Look for a mild formula that still manages to get rid of dirt and makeup.
- Non-irritating – Avoid cleansers that contain too many exfoliating grains or fragrances that can cause irritation.
- Hydrating – Look for cleansers that contain or even just leave a thin layer of nourishing oil on the skin after you’ve washed it off.
The goal of moisturizers is to restore moisture back into the skin and during winter, you need a formula that helps to protect and lock in moisture. Some of the best winter moisturizers contain hyaluronic acid and oils like jojoba oil and avocado oil to provide the extra boost of hydration that winter skin needs.
Oil or Serums
In addition to moisturizers, it is also a good idea to add in an additional layer of moisture to the skin using either a facial oil or serum. Facial oils contain a combination of different nourishing oils as well as other beneficial ingredients that help to sooth and nourish the skin. Serums on the other hand, usually contain a blend of powerful antioxidants and vitamins that help to slow down the signs of aging, repair damaged skin cells, and protect the skin from environmental damage.
The delicate skin around the eyes is even more prone to dryness than the rest of the face, so it’s important to use a hydrating eye cream during winter. Look for eye creams that contain ingredients like hyaluronic acid, shea butter, and oils like almond oil and avocado oil to provide the skin with extra nourishment.
Masks and Exfoliating Treatments
During winter, it is also essential to give your skin a bit of extra love with either a hydrating mask or a mild exfoliating treatment. Using a hydrating mask will help to draw in moisture and give your skin a long-lasting boost of hydration. A gentle exfoliating treatment will help to remove dead skin cells and reveal a softer, smoother skin texture.
What are the best ingredients for winter skincare products?
1. Hyaluronic Acid: Hyaluronic acid helps the skin retain moisture, making it an ideal ingredient for winter skincare products.
2. Camellia Oil: Camellia oil is full of antioxidants and essential fatty acids, making it a great choice for keeping skin hydrated during the colder months.
3. Coconut Oil: Coconut oil is an incredibly hydrating choice for winter skincare, as its natural fats help to lock moisture into the skin.
4. Avocado Oil: Avocado oil is great for nourishing dry winter skin, as its high fat content helps to soothe and protect it from harsh winter winds.
5. Shea Butter: Shea butter is a natural choice for winter skincare, as its rich fatty acids help to lock moisture in and keep skin moisturized.
What are the benefits of winter skincare products?
1. Moisturize and Nourish Skin: Winter skincare products are designed to nourish, hydrate and protect the skin, as they provide an extra layer of protection from the cold, dry winter weather.
2. Protect from Skin Damage: Winter skincare products create a barrier that prevents winter elements from causing skin damage, such as dryness, cracks and irritation.
3. Increase Collagen Production: As winter skincare products contain antioxidants and rich botanical extracts, it helps to increase collagen production, which helps to firm and plump the skin.
4. Reduce Redness: Many winter skincare products are formulated with anti-inflammatory ingredients, which can reduce redness and irritation due to cold and dry winter weather.
5. Help Maintain Healthy and Glowing Skin: Winter skincare products are designed to provide your skin with the vital hydration and nourishment it needs year round, to keep it healthy and glowing.
What are some winter skincare products to use?
1. Moisturizer: A face and body moisturizer that’s specifically formulated for winter and provides intense hydration can be a lifesaver. Look for ingredients like hyaluronic acid and ceramides, which seal in moisture without feeling greasy.
2. Oil-based Cleanser: During the colder months, it is important to switch to an oil-based cleanser. Conventional formers tend to draw too much moisture out of your skin, leaving it dry and irritated. Oil-based cleansers remove impurities and help keep your skin’s natural oil balance intact.
3. Vitamin C Serum: Vitamin C helps protect your skin from environmental stressors, like harsh winter winds, and is great for reducing signs of aging. Look for a serum that includes this powerful antioxidant.
4. Sunscreen: Winter sun can damage your skin. Make sure you’re still applying an SPF of at least 30 to protect your skin from harsh UV rays.
5. Lip Balm: Cold, dry air can take its toll on your lips. Applying a lip balm that contains hydrating ingredients such as shea butter, beeswax, and other oils will keep your lips hydrated and soft even in the coldest temps.