Are you looking to give your body a sculpted appearance with some added muscle? Here’s your essential guide on the 6 steps to building lean muscle.
1. Create a “Realistic” Goal
Set yourself a goal that you can actually achieve and stick to. To do this, ask yourself: “What am I hoping to improve or accomplish?” You’ll need to be honest with yourself and have a detailed plan on how and when you’ll reach your goals.
2. Up Your Protein Intake
It is essential to increase your protein intake in order to build muscle. Protein aids with rebuilding tissue, synthesizing enzymes and hormones, and more. Integrate lean proteins such as chicken, turkey, lean beef and eggs into your diet.
3. Weight Train Three Times a Week
Focus on including weight training in the form of squats, dead lifts and chin-ups. You should aim to do at least 3-5 sets of 8-12 repetitions each, with 30-60 second rest periods in-between sets.
Four: Choose Quality Supplements
Quality supplements such as whey protein, creatine and glutamine are an optional extra to aid with muscle growth. It is important to note that supplements are just that – supplementary.
5. Increase Calorie Intake
It is essential to increase your calorie intake when building muscle, as this will provide energy for your weight training sessions which, in turn, will help with muscle growth and repair.
6. Have Patience
Don’t expect to see results overnight. Results take time, so have patience and stay consistent with a proper diet, weight training program and rest.
Your journey to building lean muscle is now set in motion. In addition to regular exercise and physical activity, it is important to also engage in a healthy diet, adequate rest, and positive mental attitude. All of these elements are essential in building the physique you desire.
What exercises are most effective for building lean muscle?
1. Squats: Squats are an excellent exercise for building strength in the legs and lower body. They also help to engage your core and develop overall stability.
2. Deadlifts: Deadlifts are one of the best exercises for building strength in the lower body as they engage all the major muscles in the legs, glutes, and core.
3. Lunges: Lunges are great for building strength in the legs and glutes while also engaging the core.
4. Push-Ups: Push-Ups are a classic exercise for building upper body strength, as well as core strength.
5. Pull-Ups: Pull-Ups require you to use your whole body to lift your own bodyweight, which is great for developing strength in your back and biceps.
6. Plyometric Exercises: Plyometric exercises like burpees and jump squats are great for building explosive power, as well as muscular endurance.
What exercises are best for gaining lean muscle mass?
1. Resistance Training Exercises – Squats, Deadlifts, Lunges, Bench Press, Overhead Press, Pull-ups, Pull-downs and Bent-over Rows
2. Isolation Exercises – Bicep Curls, Tricep Extensions, Shoulder Raises, Leg Curls, Leg Extensions, and Calf Raises
3. High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) – Burpees, Kettlebell Swings, Squat Jumps, and Mountain Climbers.
4. Cardio Exercises- Running, Cycling, Swimming, Rowing, and Jumping Rope.
What is the best diet for gaining lean muscle mass?
The best diet for gaining lean muscle mass is a high-protein, calorie-dense, nutrient-dense diet. Protein is important for muscle growth and development, so aim for eating 1 gram of protein for each pound of body weight each day. Other sources of lean protein, such as lean meats, fish, eggs, seeds, nuts, and legumes will help build muscle and provide essential amino acids and nutrients. Eating plenty of complex carbohydrates such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and legumes will provide your body with fuel and fiber. Healthy fats, such as olive oil, avocados, and nuts should also be included in your diet, as they can help with weight gain and provide essential fatty acids. Finally, maintain a consistent exercise routine, as this will help build muscle and burn excess fat.
What are the best foods to eat for gaining lean muscle?
1. Lean Protein: Chicken, turkey, fish, lean beef, eggs, and low-fat dairy products.
2. Whole Grains: Oats, quinoa, brown rice, and other grains provide complex carbohydrates to fuel your muscles and provide dietary fiber.
3. Healthy Fats: Nuts, seeds, avocados, and olive oil are all great sources of healthy fats that will help you gain lean muscle.
4. Vegetables: Aim to eat a variety of nutrient-packed vegetables, especially those containing lots of antioxidants, such as broccoli and spinach.
5. Fruit: Berries, apples, and other fresh fruits provide essential vitamins and minerals for muscle recovery and growth.
6. Protein Shakes: Protein shakes are a convenient and easily digestible way to increase your overall protein intake.
What foods should be avoided when trying to gain lean muscle?
Some foods that should be avoided when trying to gain lean muscle include processed foods, foods that are high in sugar, and fried foods. Additionally, it is important to avoid sugary drinks and alcoholic beverages, as they can impede your progress when trying to gain lean muscle.