Regular exercise has countless physical and mental health benefits, yet many people find it difficult to stick to a successful exercise routine. Building a regular exercise routine can be intimidating and time consuming, but with a few helpful tips and tricks, you will soon realize the rewards that come from a consistent workout.
Creating an ambitious plan from the start can be overwhelming. Instead, break down your overall fitness goal into smaller, more achievable goals. Aim for something you can commit to, like going for a 20 minute walk 3 times a week. With perseverance, you will start to see changes in your body and well-being that will encourage you to go further.
Find an Exercise Routine You Love
Don’t force yourself to go to the gym if that’s not your thing – it’s important to find an exercise routine that matches your lifestyle and interests. If you’re an outdoorsy person, try hiking or join a running club. If the traditional gym isn’t your cup of tea, try a dance class or a martial arts class. Not only will you enjoy yourself, you’ll be more likely to keep showing up.
Make it Mandatory
It’s easy to miss a day here and there, however, by making exercise a must, you will force yourself to stay consistent. Set aside a specific day of the week for each activity and make sure to stick to your plan.
Prioritize Your Well- Being
It’s important to remember that your health should be the top priority. Before hitting the gym take time to listen to what your body needs and if it needs a break, take a day or two off.
Benefits of Exercise
Exercising regularly has numerous physical and mental benefits:
- Boosts Energy – Regular exercise can increase energy levels, this is because it strengthens your heart and helps it pump blood to other muscles more efficiently.
- Manages Stress – Exercise releases feel-good chemicals in your body, also known as endorphins, which can reduce feelings of stress or anger.
- Improves Cognitive Performance – Regular exercise increases the concentration and productivity of your mind, which can help increase your productivity and help with daily tasks.
Developing and maintaining a regular exercise routine can be a challenge, but with some perseverance and commitment, you will begin to reap the rewards of a healthier lifestyle. Remember to mix things up and have fun when you can – it’s the best way to stick with it!
What are the health benefits of exercising regularly?
1. Reduced risk of heart disease and stroke: Exercise increases your heart rate, improves blood circulation and decreases your risk of cardiovascular disease.
2. Improved immune system: Regular exercise has been shown to reduce the likelihood of colds and other illnesses by strengthening the body’s natural defenses.
3. Improved mental health: Exercise can help improve your mood and reduce symptoms of depression and anxiety.
4. Weight control: Regular exercise can help you maintain a healthy weight and reduce your risk of obesity and other weight-related health issues.
5. Increased energy levels: Regular exercise can give you more energy throughout the day by helping you sleep better at night.
6. Better overall health: Studies have shown that regular exercise can reduce the risk of certain types of cancer, diabetes, and other chronic diseases.
What are the long-term benefits of exercising regularly?
1. Reduced risk of chronic disease: Regular exercise can reduce your risk for many chronic diseases, including heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes, and certain types of cancer.
2. Natural mood enhancer: Exercise is a natural way to reduce stress and feel better. Exactly how it works is still a bit of a mystery, but research shows that it can help lift your mood and increase feelings of contentment.
3. Improved sleep: People who exercise regularly tend to sleep better. Regular physical activity can help you fall asleep faster, enhance your sleep quality, and improve your overall sleep duration.
4. Better brain health: Regular exercise has significant advantages for brain health. Exercise helps lower your risk of dementia and helps improve your attention and memory.
5. Healthy body composition: Exercise can help you maintain a healthy body weight and decrease body fat. Strength training can also help protect your bones and improve your muscle mass.
6. Boost self-confidence: Exercising regularly can have an enormous impact on your self-esteem and body image. With regular exercise, you’ll likely find yourself feeling more positive and confident.
What are the psychological benefits of exercising regularly?
1. Improved self-esteem: Regular exercise can provide a boost to your self-confidence, as it can help you feel proud of yourself for taking care of your body.
2. Reduced stress and anxiety: Exercise can also act as a natural stress-buster, as it can help to improve your mood and reduce feelings of anxiety.
3. Improved sleep: Exercise can help regulate your sleep patterns, as it can help you both tire yourself out, and make it easier to relax and wind down at the end of each day.
4. Improved concentration and focus: Exercise can help to increase the blood flow to your brain, which can help to improve your concentration, focus, and memory.
5. Improved mental outlook: Regular exercise can help to promote a positive attitude, as it can help improve your sense of wellbeing as your body releases endorphins, which are natural feel-good hormones.