Eating healthy can seem daunting and time consuming. But making small changes in what you eat and how you prepare meals can lead to a healthier diet. Here are ten simple and effective ways to eat healthier every day.
1. Be mindful of your portion sizes.
Avoid oversized portions of all the food you eat, including healthy options. A good way to measure portions is to use the palm of your hand, your fist, or a measuring cup.
2. Use healthy fats.
Fat is an essential part of a healthy diet and not all fats are created equal. Use healthy fats such as olive oil, avocado, and nuts in moderation to add flavor and texture to your meals.
3. Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables.
Fruits and vegetables are packed with essential vitamins and minerals and are an important part of a healthy diet. Aim for at least five servings of fruits and vegetables every day.
4. Eat whole grains.
Whole grains contain more fiber, vitamins, and minerals than refined grains and can help keep you feeling full longer. Choose whole-grain bread and pasta, brown rice, or quinoa.
5. Replace unhealthy snacks with nutritious options.
We all need a snack now and then. Choose healthy snacks such as yogurt, nuts, and fresh fruit instead of unhealthy options such as chips or candy.
6. Limit processed foods.
Processed foods are often loaded with added sugar and unhealthy fats. Choose fresh or frozen fruits and vegetables, low-fat dairy, and lean proteins instead.
7. Choose lean proteins.
Proteins are an important part of a healthy diet. Choose lean proteins such as skinless chicken, fish, tofu, beans, and nuts.
8. Incorporate healthy fats.
Healthy fats such as olive oil and avocados can help keep you full longer and give your meals a boost of flavor.
9. Eat slowly.
When you eat too quickly, you’re more likely to overeat. Take your time and enjoy your meals. Focus on the taste, texture, and smell of your food.
10. Make mealtime a family affair.
Gathering the family around the table for meals is a great way to keep everyone involved in the healthful eating process. Take the time to cook together and talk about your day.
Making small changes to your diet can be easy when you have the right mindset and approach. With these simple steps, you can start living healthier today.
What are some healthy snacks I can have during the day?
1. Air-popped popcorn
2. Fruit and nut bars
3. Hummus and raw veggies
4. Hard boiled eggs
5. Yogurt and berries
6. Trail mix
7. Apple slices with almond butter
8. Roasted chickpeas
9. Avocado toast
What are some quick and healthy snacks?
1. Apple slices with almond butter
2. Hummus and whole wheat pita bread
3. Greek yogurt with berries and nuts
4. Air-popped popcorn
5. Trail mix
7. Cottage cheese with fruit
8. Carrot sticks and guacamole
9. Whole wheat toast with peanut butter
10. Celery and nut butter
What are some easy, healthy snacks to make?
1. Apple slices with almond butter
2. Frozen grapes
3. Trail mix
4. Roasted chickpeas
5. Smoothie bowls
6. Hummus and sliced veggies
7. Yogurt with fresh fruit
8. No-bake energy bites
9. Air-popped popcorn
10. Avocado toast
What are some quick, healthy snacks to make?
– Avocado toast
– Hummus and raw vegetables
– Hard-boiled eggs
– Greek yogurt and berries
– Cottage cheese and fruit
– Trail mix
– Fruit and nut bars
– Roasted chickpeas
– Kale chips
– Guacamole and plantain chips
– Homemade energy bites
What are some healthy snack recipes for children?
1. Oatmeal raisin bites: Combine 1 cup old-fashioned oats, ½ cup raisins, ½ cup almond butter, ½ cup honey, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and a pinch of salt in a medium bowl. Mix until everything is evenly combined and use your hands to make small bites.
2. Banana bread bars: In a large bowl, mash 2 ripe bananas until smooth. Stir in ½ cup almond butter, ¼ cup honey, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and a pinch of salt. Add 1 cup whole wheat flour and ¼ teaspoon baking soda to the wet ingredients, stirring until just incorporated. Pour the batter into a lightly greased 8×8 baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow the pan to cool before cutting them into bars.
3. Apple & peanut butter snack wrap: Spread 2 tablespoons of natural peanut butter on a whole wheat tortilla. Top with thin apple slices and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Roll it up and enjoy!
4. Hummus & vegetable dipping plates: Place a scoop of hummus on a plate, surround it with a selection of sliced raw veggies like carrots and celery, and serve.
5. Frozen banana pops: Peel 2 bananas and cut in half. Insert popsicle sticks into the cut ends and freeze for at least an hour. Dip the bananas in melted dark chocolate and top with chopped nuts. Place them back in the freezer until ready to eat.
What are some easy healthy snack recipes for kids?
1. Apple Crumble Energy Bites: Mix 1/2 cup of oats, 2 tablespoons of peanut butter, 1/4 cup of applesauce, 1/4 cup of raisins, 1 tablespoon of honey, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1/4 cup of crushed walnuts, and 1/4 cup of flaxseed in a bowl. Form the mixture into small balls and refrigerate for 1 hour. Enjoy!
2. Peanut Butter Banana Bites: Spread a shallow layer of peanut butter onto whole grain bread. Place a banana slice on top of the peanut butter and top with another slice of bread. Cut the sandwich into small triangles and serve.
3. Trail Mix: Combine 1/2 cup of unsalted peanuts, 1/2 cup of pretzels, 1/2 cup of mini marshmallows, 1/2 cup of dark chocolate chips, and 1/2 cup of dried cherries in a large bowl. Divide the mix into individual portions and store in airtight container. Enjoy!
4. Greek Yogurt Parfaits: Layer plain Greek yogurt, fresh fruit, and a drizzle of honey in a bowl. Sprinkle some chopped nuts or granola on top for a little crunch.
5. Cheese and Crackers: Spread a slice of cheese onto whole grain crackers for a quick and nutritious snack. Get creative by adding slices of deli meat or fresh fruit on top.