Getting fit doesn’t have to be expensive. By following a few simple tips, you can easily stay in top shape all while saving money. Here are 10 tips for getting fit on a budget:
1. Buy Used Exercise Equipment
Buying used exercise equipment is a great way to get into shape for a fraction of the cost. Check online for used sports goods stores in your area, as well as online sites like Craigslist and eBay.
2. Shop Around for Gym Memberships
Shopping around for different gym memberships can save you a lot of money in the long run. Compare prices, check for discounts, and don’t forget to ask about any additional fees or services.
3. Make Use of Free Resources
There are a variety of free resources available to help you get into shape. Sites like YouTube and Livestrong offer tons of workout videos and fitness advice. Plus, there are plenty of running and biking paths available in most cities.
4. Invest in at Home Workout Programs
Investing in at home workout programs can be a great way to save money on gym memberships. You can find a variety of fitness programs on DVD and streaming services like Netflix or Hulu.
5. Try New Workouts
Trying new workouts can be a fun way to switch up your routine and save money at the same time. Group classes, boot camp classes and martial arts gyms often offer free trial classes.
6. Meal Prep
Meal prepping can save you money and calories. Make a grocery list once a week and plan out your meals for the week. That way you’ll be less likely to succumb to the temptation of fast food or expired snacks.
7. Drink More Water
Drinking more water can help flush out toxins, make you feel full, and give you a boost of energy. Invest in a reusable water bottle and make sure to stay hydrated throughout the day.
8. Shop Discount Grocery Stores
Shopping at discount grocery stores can save you money on healthy food choices. Look for healthy options like fresh fruits and vegetables, lean meats, and whole grains.
9. Try Outdoor Workouts
Exercising outdoors can be a great way to get a full body workout without breaking the bank. Try activities like hiking, biking, or kayaking for a change of scenery.
10. Join Fitness Challenges
Joining fitness challenges can help to hold you accountable and challenge your body in new ways. Many online challenges and apps offer rewards for completing goals and challenges.
Staying fit doesn’t have to break the bank. With a little creativity and dedication, you can easily get in shape – and save money – all at the same time.
What are some free or low-cost ways to get fit?
1. Take a daily walk. Walking is a great way to get fit without spending any money.
2. Join an online fitness group or challenge. There are lots of free resources, including apps, videos, and social media communities, that offer support and motivation.
3. Utilize your surroundings. Fitness equipment can be found everywhere; such as stairs, benches, and rocks, that can be used for circuit training.
4. Try out at-home fitness videos. There are many free or inexpensive workout videos available online.
5. Learn a new sport. Try an outdoor sport such as golf, tennis, or hiking, or join a local sports league.
6. Participate in group activities. Community centers, YMCAs, and other organizations often offer low-cost or even free sessions or classes.
What exercises should I do to get fit without a gym?
1. Jogging or running- great for getting your heart going and building endurance.
2. Bodyweight exercises- no weights required and can be done at home. Push-ups, planks, squats and lunges are all good options.
3. Yoga- great for increasing flexibility and mindfulness.
4. Swimming- a great full body workout.
5. Jumping rope- a great cardiovascular workout to build endurance.
6. Hills sprints with bodyweight exercises- a great combination of cardio and strength training.
7. Dancing- a great way to have fun and get your heart going.
8. Hiking – great for increasing your cardiovascular health.
9. Circuit Training – a great way to perform multiple exercises in a short period of time.
What exercises can I do to get fit at home?
1. Push-Ups: Push-ups are classic upper-body exercises that strengthen your chest and arms.
2. Squats: Squats are a classic lower body exercise that works your quads, hamstrings and glutes.
3. Lunges: Lunges are a great lower body exercise that works your glutes, quads and hamstrings.
4. Plank: Plank is a core exercise that works your abs, obliques and lower back muscles.
5. Burpees: Burpees are a full-body exercise that work your upper and lower body muscles.
6. Jumping Jacks: Jumping jacks are a great full-body cardio exercise that works your entire body.
7. Jumping Rope: Jumping rope is a great cardiovascular exercise that works your entire body.
8. Mountain Climbers: Mountain climbers are a great cardio exercise that works your core and legs.
9. Step Ups: Step ups are a great lower body exercise that works your quads and calves.
10. Sit-Ups: Sit-ups are a great core exercise that works your abdominals and helps improve your posture.