Often times, it may seem difficult to add exercise to an already packed daily schedule. Although adopting an active lifestyle isn’t always easy, there are some simple strategies that can make the journey a bit easier. Here are a few tips for making exercise a part of your daily routine and achieving an active lifestyle:
1. Find an Exercise You Enjoy
Finding an activity that you enjoy can help motivate you to stick to your workout routine. From running to spinning to yoga, there are so many different types of exercises out there that can help you get active and have some fun while doing it. Make sure to explore and experiment until you find what you like.
2. Make Exercise a Priority
Making exercise a priority in your daily life is important for incorporating activity into your routine. Schedule dedicated workout time into your calendars and set reminders to keep yourself on track.
3. Make Working Out Social
Having support from friends and family is a great way to stay motivated. Inviting someone to join your workout routine or finding an online fitness community can help keep you accountable and make exercise more enjoyable.
4. Start Small
Finally, don’t expect too much too soon. If you try to jump into a full-blown routine too quickly, it might be overwhelming and discourage you from continuing. Start with simple steps like taking the stairs instead of the elevator or finding opportunities for short walks or jogs during the day.
By implementing these strategies to your daily life, you can slowly but surely work towards achieving an active lifestyle that you can stick to.
What are the benefits of an active lifestyle?
1. Improved mental wellbeing: Regular physical activity has been linked to improved mood, increased self-esteem, decreased stress, and improved sleep quality.
2. Reduced risk of serious illness: Regular physical activity can reduce the risk of developing chronic diseases such as heart disease, stroke, diabetes, obesity, certain types of cancer, and osteoporosis.
3. Improved physical health: Regular physical activity can contribute to stronger bones, muscles, and joints and lead to improved balance and coordination, which can reduce injuries and falls in older adults.
4. Weight management: Regular physical activity is important for maintaining a healthy weight, as it helps burn calories, build muscle, and control weight gain due to age.
5. Increased energy: Regular physical activity can improve your energy levels and make everyday tasks feel much easier.
6. Improved social connections: Regular physical activity can help you meet new people, make new friends, and build relationships. It can also provide an opportunity to participate in group activities and enjoy the outdoors.
What are the health benefits of an active lifestyle?
1. Improved physical and mental health: Regular physical activity can improve your overall physical health and mental wellbeing, as well as reduce stress, depression, and anxiety.
2. Reduced risk of chronic diseases: An active lifestyle can help reduce your risk of heart disease, stroke, diabetes, and other chronic illnesses.
3. Weight management: Regular physical activity can help you maintain a healthy body weight, prevent weight gain, and even lose weight if needed.
4. Increased energy levels: When you are active, your body is able to use oxygen more effectively. This increases energy levels, allowing you to complete tasks with greater ease.
5. Stronger bones, muscles, and joints: Exercise and physical activity can help build strong bones, muscles, and joints, while improving flexibility and balance. This can reduce your risk of injury and falls.
6. Improved sleep: An active lifestyle can help you sleep better and wake up feeling more refreshed. Being physically active can help reduce stress and relax your body, making it easier to drift off to sleep.
What are the benefits of exercise on mental health?
1. Improves Mood: Exercise has been proven to help manage symptoms of anxiety and depression, both of which are common psychological disorders. Regular exercise can help boost serotonin and endorphin levels, which result in feelings of happiness and well-being.
2. Enhances Concentration and Brain Power: Exercise increases oxygen and blood flow to the brain, which can help improve focus and concentration. It also encourages new connections between nerve cells and increases the production of hormones that affect mental processes.
3. Improves Self-Esteem: Exercise is a great way to boost self-esteem and confidence. After a vigorous workout, our body releases endorphins which help reduce stress and improve the body’s overall perception of itself.
4. Provides a Sense of Accomplishment: Exercise can help to promote a sense of success. By setting goals and completing them, one can gain a more positive view of themselves, which can lead to higher self-confidence and self-esteem.
5. Improves Sleep: Exercise has been proven to improve the quality and duration of sleep. Exercise helps the body to regulate its circadian rhythms, which leads to improved sleep patterns. This can help to reduce the chances of obtaining a sleep disorder and ease symptoms of existing disorders.