As the holidays approach us, it is tempting to overindulge in our favorite desserts and snacks. Not to mention all the family gatherings, shopping, baking and cooking that can add to an already busy schedule. So, how can we stay fit and still enjoy the holidays? Here are 5 tips that should help:
1. Set Goals for Yourself
Set achievable goals for yourself when it comes to the holidays and fitness. Don’t aim too high, but rather set a realistic goal that you can work towards. This could be anything like doing ten minutes of exercise a day during the holidays, or it could be something even smaller like taking the stairs instead of the elevator.
2. Make Time for Yourself
Make sure to make a little bit of time for yourself to stay active during the holidays. This could be anything from a walk around the block, going for a swim, or even attending a yoga class. Just make sure to schedule some time in your day to stay active and fit.
3. Avoid Unhealthy Foods
It is easy to indulge in unhealthy snacks and treats while celebrating the holidays. However, one of the best ways to stay fit is to practice moderation and replace unhealthy snacks with healthier options like fruits, vegetables, and nuts.
4. Get Enough Sleep
It is important to make sure to get enough rest during the holidays in order to function properly during the day. Getting enough sleep will help you stay energized and alert and make it easier to stay active.
5. Eat Slowly and Mindfully
It is also important to eat slowly and mindfully. This way, you can savor each bite and enjoy eating without overdoing it. Eating slowly also keeps your blood sugar stable and allows you to recognize when you are starting to become full.
What exercises can be done during the holidays to stay fit?
1. Going for a daily walk or run
5. Doing at-home workouts
6. Try yoga or Pilates
7. Skipping rope
8. Join a local parkrun
9. Climbing a natural rock face
10. Playing a game of beach volleyball.
What are some holiday-specific workout routines?
1. Turkey Trot 5K or 10K Run or Walk – This is a great way to get your blood pumping and work up an appetite for the big meal.
2. Holiday HIIT Workout – Even if you only have 15 minutes to spare, you can still get a great workout in by either doing bodyweight exercises, using your own body weight, or using a piece of resistance equipment like a dumbbell.
3. Pilates Flow – This low impact exercise is great to help you tone up while lengthening and strengthening your muscles.
4. Christmas Cardio Blitz – Get your heart rate up with this calorie burning routine that targets both upper and lower body.
5. Holiday Yoga Flow – De-stress and soothe your mind with a relaxing yoga flow.
6. Boxing or Kickboxing Class – Let out some of that holiday energy by joining a class a couple of times a week for a great sweat session.
7. Family Outdoor Activities – Take the family for a hike or a long walk in the park to get your hearts pumping and the family bonding.
What exercises should I perform during the holiday season?
1. Bodyweight Squats: This is a great exercise to strengthen your lower body and can be done anywhere.
2. Burpees: Burpees are a full-body exercise that can help you stay fit over the holidays.
3. Pushups: Pushups are a great way to strengthen your upper body and can be done almost anywhere.
4. Plank: Planking is a great core exercise that can be done to improve your postural strength.
5. Jumping Lunges: Lunges with a jump are a great way to challenge your cardiovascular system and add some intensity to your workout.
6. Core Workouts: Core workouts are essential for strengthening your midsection and keeping your body stable.
7. Yoga or Pilates: Yoga or Pilates are great for stretching and maintaining mobility. Both practices can help improve flexibility and posture, helping you stay healthy during the holiday season.
What are some exercises to do during the holiday season to stay fit?
1. Go for a brisk walk around the neighbourhood and take in the holiday lights.
2. Take a yoga class or do a yoga session at home.
3. Take a jog around the block between errands and shopping.
4. Take part in seasonal sports, like ice skating, downhill skiing and snowshoeing.
5. Attend an indoor spin/cycling class.
6. Hike a nearby trail or hit up your local park for a good nature walk.
7. Do a circuit of bodyweight exercises at home, like jump squats, planks and mountain climbers.
8. Take the kids to their holiday sports practices and join in the fun.
9. Participate in a holiday-themed fitness class.
10. Go sledding or tobogganing with friends and family.
What workouts can be done at home during the holiday season?
1. Bodyweight exercises – push-ups, squats, planks, crunches and burpees.
2. Resistance training – use cans of food and books to create your own weights, use an exercise band or resistance band to challenge yourself to lift weights.
3. Aerobic exercises – jumping jacks, mountain climbers, jumping rope, and high knees.
4. Cardio routines – running up and down stairs or in circles in your backyard, doing jumping jacks and burpees for short intervals, or aerobic dances like Zumba.
5. Yoga – explore your creativity by creating a yoga routine for yourself at home.
6. Strech – Stretching exercises are not only great for improving flexibility but also help relax the body and mind.
7. Swimming – if you have access to a pool or a lake, this is a great way to stay active during the holidays.