Exercising on a regular basis is one of the most important things you can do for your physical and mental wellbeing. However, getting and staying motivated to exercise can be a challenge. Whether you’re a first time exerciser or a seasoned pro, it’s always good to have some helpful tips and tricks to kickstart your routine.
1. Set Specific Goals
Setting goals is a great way to make sure you’re staying on track with your exercise routine. Make sure your goals are specific, realistic and achievable. Avoid setting goals that are too vague, too broad or too ambitious.
2. Find an Exercise Routine You Enjoy
Exercising doesn’t have to mean an hour of monotonous running on the treadmill. Find a routine that you actually enjoy and that fits your lifestyle. Choose activities that you look forward to and won’t dread.
3. Set a Regular Time and Place
Schedule your exercise into your daily routine. Find a regular time and place that works for you and make this a non-negotiable. This helps to ensure that you’re accounting for the time and effort that exercise requires.
4. Make Exercising with Others Part of Your Routine
Group exercise classes are a great way to stay motivated and consistent. Working out with friends helps to create a sense of accountability and makes things a lot more fun. It also serves as a great support system to help you reach your goals.
5. Keep Track of Your Progress
Tracking your fitness progress is one of the best ways to stay motivated and stay on track. Keep a fitness journal and record any successes no matter how small. At the end of the week or month, look back at it and appreciate how far you have come.
Exercising on a regular basis can be a challenge for anyone. With the help of these 5 tips you can quickly and effectively kickstart your exercise routine. Remember to find something you enjoy, set a regular time and place, find a support system, set specific goals and track your progress.
What exercises should I do to kickstart my exercise routine?
1. Jumping jacks- an energizing and quick full-body exercise that increases your heart rate
2. Walking lunges- a great exercise for strengthening your glutes and quads
3. Push-ups- builds strength in the chest, arms, and core
4. Squats- tone and strengthens muscles in the legs, hips, and core
5. Planks- strengthens your core and back muscles, improving posture as well as overall stability
6. Burpees- a combination of a squat, push-up and jump exercise that target multiple muscles
7. Mountain climbers- a full body cardio exercise that burns fat & strengthens muscles
8. Glute bridges- targets and activates the glutes to help build strength
9. Triceps dips- a great exercise for toning and strengthening the arms and triceps
10. High knees- a great cardio exercise for burning fat and strengthening your legs
What exercises should I do at home to start my exercise routine?
1. Push-ups: Push-ups are an effective way to strengthen your chest, shoulders, arms, and core.
2. Squats: Squats are great for strengthening your legs and core.
3. Lunges: Lunges work your quads, glutes, and hamstrings while also strengthening your core.
4. Burpees: Burpees combine bodyweight strength training with a bit of cardio.
5. Planks: Planks focus on core strength and are great for toning your abdominal muscles.
6. Step-ups: Step-ups are useful for toning your glutes and strengthening your lower body.
7. Jumping jacks: Jumping jacks are a great cardiovascular exercise that can get your heart rate up.
8. High knees: High knees are a great way to work on your agility, balance, and cardiovascular endurance.
9. Jump rope: Jump rope is a great cardio exercise that can help build strength and stamina.
10. Wall sits: Wall sits are great for toning your glutes and legs.
What type of equipment do I need for a home exercise routine?
1. Resistance Bands: A great way to add resistance to bodyweight exercises like squats and lunges.
2. Kettlebells: A versatile tool for strength and conditioning with a wide range of exercises.
3. Dumbbells: Great for medium to high intensity weight training, dumbbells come in weights from 2 – 100lbs.
4. Medicine Ball: Perfect for a full-body, explosive workout that focuses on coordination, stability, balance and strength.
5. Stability Ball: Perfect for core and balance training or progress from basic exercises to more difficult ones.
6. Foam Roller: Great for stretching, recovery and myofascial release to help reduce soreness and improve posture and flexibility.
7. Jump Rope: Perfect for calorie burning HIIT workouats and can be used almost anywhere.
8. Yoga Mat: Essential for any exercise routine, giving you the right traction, cushion and stability.
What types of exercises can be done with home equipment?
1. Jumping jacks
7. Stair stepping
8. Hill sprints
9. Jump rope
10. Core exercises (crunches, planks,bridges, etc.)
11. Medicine ball exercises
12. Resistanceband exercises
13. TRX exercises
14. Strength exercises (bicep curls, overhead press, rows, tricep dips, etc.)