5 Natural Ways To Boost Your Skin Health
Having skin that looks perfect and free from skin-related problems is something that should not be taken for granted. Taking out some time to care for our skin once in a while is instrumental in maintaining skin health, preventing wrinkles and fine lines as well as other skin problems such as acne and skin cancer. Here are 5 natural ways to boost your skin health:
1. Protect Your Skin From Sun Exposure
Always remember to use sunscreen when outside and wear protective clothing. UV rays coming from the sun can cause skin cancer and other skin-related problems. Make sure to apply sunscreen at least 30 minutes before going outside and wear sun-protective clothing and hats. Sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher should be applied all over the body at least twice a day.
2. Drink Plenty of Water
Water helps to keep the skin hydrated, flushing out toxins and maintaining an even skin tone. Dehydration can cause dull skin and wrinkles. Drinking at least 8 glasses of water per day can help keep skin healthy, hydrated and nourished. It is also important to ensure that you’re getting the necessary vitamins and minerals from your daily diet.
3. Eat Healthy Foods
Incorporating a balanced diet comprised of fruits and vegetables, as well as eating fatty fish and foods containing healthy fats, can provide essential nutrients for the skin. Eating fruits and vegetables with anti-inflammatory properties such as spinach, broccoli, oranges and blueberries can help keep the skin looking young and healthy.
4. Exercise Regularly
Regular exercise helps to keep the skin youthful by increasing circulation throughout the body. Exercise not only helps the body physically but can help alleviate stress which can damage the skin. Aim to exercise for at least 20 minutes a day for optimum skin health.
5. Use Natural Skin Care Products
Using natural skin care products can help keep skin healthy and free from blemishes and other skin-related problems. Natural ingredients have fewer chemicals and are less likely to cause skin sensitivity and irritation. Some natural skin care products to try are:
- Coconut oil – can be used as a moisturiser and can be used as a natural facial cleanser.
- Aloe vera – can help heal skin problems such as acne and sunburns.
- Honey – acts as a natural anti-bacterial and can aid in maintaining skin clarity.
- Olive oil – can help to keep skin hydrated and can help fight against wrinkles.
By following these tips and introducing healthy skin care habits, you can help to keep your skin looking young and healthy for years to come.
What vitamins are good for improving skin health?
Vitamin A: Vitamin A helps to keep skin healthy and vibrant by promoting cell growth and helping the skin produce an oily substance called sebum, which helps to keep the skin hydrated.
Vitamin C: Vitamin C helps to protect the skin from environmental damage, such as UV radiation and pollution. Vitamin C also helps to boost collagen production, which keeps skin looking plump and youthful.
Vitamin E: Vitamin E helps to keep skin hydrated by restoring the natural oils in the skin and helping to retain moisture.
Vitamin B3 (Niacin): Vitamin B3 helps to reduce inflammation, redness and itching, making skin look smoother and healthier.
Vitamin D: Vitamin D helps to protect skin from damage from the sun and helps to ensure that the skin can absorb vital nutrients to keep it healthy.
What foods are high in vitamins for skin health?
1. Avocado: high in healthy fats and vitamin E, which helps maintain skin health and keeping it supple.
2. Sweet potatoes: rich in Vitamin A which helps reduce inflammation and repairs skin tissues.
3. Fatty fish: Salmon and mackerel are sources of omega-3 fatty acids which helps preserve the health of your skin’s outer barrier.
4. Berries: antioxidants like vitamin C help to reduce sun damage, wrinkles and age spots.
5. Citrus fruits: high in vitamin C and antioxidants and can help fight free radicals and reduce inflammation which can damage skin.
6. Nuts and seeds: high in selenium, zinc and Vitamin E which help to maintain skin health.
7. Dark green leafy vegetables: high in vitamins A, C and K which help to protect your skin from oxidative damage, repairs damaged cells and produce collagen.
What foods are good for treating acne?
1. Foods high in antioxidants such as blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, kale, sweet potatoes, and spinach.
2. Foods high in essential fatty acids, such as salmon, flaxseed, walnuts, and avocados.
3. Foods rich in zinc, such as oysters, spinach, pumpkin seeds, and cashews.
4. Foods high in probiotics, such as yogurt, kefir, and sauerkraut.
5. Foods high in vitamins A and E, such as carrots, bell peppers, sweet potatoes, and papaya.
6. Foods high in sulfur, such as garlic, onions, and eggs.
What foods should be avoided for treating acne?
Foods that should be avoided for treating acne include deep-fried foods, refined carbohydrates, trans fats, processed meats, high-glycemic foods (like bread and foods with added sugar), and some dairy products.