The decision to begin a new exercise routine can be intimidating. Between finding the time to fit it into your schedule and the challenge of learning new moves, establishing a productive and enjoyable exercise routine may seem daunting. Fortunately, there are a few straightforward tips available to help get you started and make the most of your time.
1. Start small
You don’t need to immediately commit to an ambitious 45-minute workout. Oftentimes, it can be beneficial to break the routine into smaller chunks. If the idea of a full workout is too daunting, start by setting a goal each day of completing three 10-minute workout sessions. As you become more confident and proficient, you can gradually increase your workload.
2. Make a schedule
Establishing a plan and sticking to it is essential to the success of any exercise routine. Consider when and where is the most convenient time to work out and make it a regular part of your day. This can be done by scheduling times in the morning or evening that makes the most sense for you, or simply setting a daily goal of doing a specific activity.
3. Vary your routine
Challenge your body and push yourself to achieve more by varying your workouts. Try a new exercise or workout class that is different from your usual routine. Alternating between different types of physical activity will help to keep you engaged and motivated and help prevent burnout.
4. Set goals
Having something to work towards can be a powerful motivating factor when it comes to exercising. When setting a goal, be sure to make it realistic and attainable. If, for instance, you want to lose 10 pounds, dedicate yourself to a set amount of time in the gym each day and track your progress using an app or a journal.
5. Make it fun
Exercise should be an enjoyable and rewarding experience. Incorporate activities into your workout plan that you genuinely look forward to each day. That could include planning group activities with friends or indulging in a hobby such as playing a sports with your family. You can also listen to music or audio books while you’re exercising to help keep you entertained.
Starting and maintaining an exercise routine doesn’t have to be a challenge. By following these five simple tips, you can create an enjoyable, sustainable workout routine and achieve your fitness goals.
What kind of exercise should I do to start a new routine?
A great place to start a new exercise routine is to start with a combination of cardiovascular exercises such as running, biking, and rowing, along with bodyweight exercises like squats, push-ups, and planks. You could also try out some aerobic exercises such as swimming or playing a sport. Ultimately, try to find something you enjoy so you stick with it!
What type of exercise should I do to stay motivated in my routine?
It depends on your individual interests and goals, but there are many different exercises to choose from. Strength training, HIIT (high-intensity interval training), running, cycling, yoga, and swimming are some popular and effective exercises that can help keep you motivated. Try to vary the activities and focus on what you enjoy most, as that will help you stay motivated and consistent in your routine.
What types of activities can I do to stay motivated in my exercise routine?
1. Find a supportive workout buddy: Find someone who will commit to exercising with you regularly, keep you accountable, and help to push you to reach your goals.
2. Select an exercise program that you enjoy: Whether it’s strength training, running, yoga, or anything else, find an activity that you like to do and look forward to.
3. Set reachable goals: Start with smaller, manageable goals and move up the ladder as you improve.
4. Track your progress: Measure your progress along the way to keep you motivated and on track.
5. Add variation and fun: Mix up your routine with different activities and add some fun to your workouts.
6. Reward yourself: Give yourself rewards when you reach a milestone or complete a successful workout.
7. Get a good night’s sleep: Proper rest is important to maintain your energy and focus during workouts.
8. Listen to music: Listening to music during workouts can help keep you motivated and energized.
9. Find a motivating workout space: Find a fitness space that you enjoy and can look forward to each time you train.
10. Surround yourself with positive people: Positive people can inspire and motivate you to stay on track and reach your goals.
What are some positive reinforcement techniques to stay motivated during exercise?
1. Celebrate small wins – Acknowledge the progress you make with small accomplishments such as completing a run without stopping or progressing to a higher weight with strength training.
2. Set personal rewards – Give yourself a special treat with a reward system when you meet your fitness goals.
3. Listen to music – Music can help get you in the groove and motivate you to keep moving.
4. Exercise with friends – Exercise with friends to help keep each other motivated and accountable.
5. Mix things up – Mix up your routine with different classes or activities to keep things interesting and prevent your workout from getting stale.
6. Track your progress – Keep track of the number of miles you’ve run, calories you’ve burned, or weights you’ve lifted in order to stay motivated.
7. Keep goals in sight – Hang inspirational reminders in your home or workspace to keep your goals in focus.