Exercise is critical for physical and mental wellbeing, and getting yourself into a routine can be one of the most effective ways to ensure regular activity. Here are 5 easy ways to add exercise to your daily life:
1. Set a Schedule
Start by making a schedule of activity and plan it in with other daily tasks, such as work and meals. Aim to stick to it as much as possible – if the idea of a big outing to the gym intimidates you, try breaking it up into smaller chunks and incorporate regular short walks or stretching sessions throughout the day.
2. Find an Activity You Enjoy
Exercise isn’t just about spending half an hour in the gym – it’s about finding something that you enjoy doing. There’s a huge range of physical activities available and chances are you can find something that fits into your lifestyle, such as dancing, cycling, swimming, gardening or yoga. Make sure your chosen activity is both accessible and fun and you’ll be more motivated to keep it up.
3. Start Small
Trying to fit an hour workout in every day is a great goal, but some may find this intimidating. Instead, try starting small and build up gradually over time. Even a 15 minute walk every day or a five minute stretching session can make a big difference.
4. Get Your Family Involved
Make exercise a family event and get your spouse and kids involved. Together, you can go for walks, play sports or partake in fitness classes. Not only will you be getting regular activity, but you’ll also be spending quality time together.
5. Get Creative
Think outside the box when it comes to exercise. Try going to a fitness class or taking up a sport that you’ve always wanted to try. Or, if you don’t have the budget for expensive classes or equipment, why not try something low cost like running or using your own bodyweight for a strength training home workout.
You don’t need to be a gym rat to exercise regularly. With a little bit of planning, exercise can become part of your everyday routine and a source of enjoyment for your whole family.
What types of activities count as exercise?
Activities that count as exercise include walking, running, jogging, swimming, cycling, tennis, basketball, football, weight lifting, jumping rope, Pilates, yoga, stair climbing, dancing, Zumba, kickboxing, rowing, hiking, and other aerobic activities.
What qualifies as physical activity?
Physical activity is any movement involving the use of the body’s large muscle groups. Examples include walking, running, biking, swimming, dancing, playing sports, gardening, and household chores.
What types of physical activities count as exercise?
Examples of physical activities that count as exercise include running, walking, swimming, cycling, dancing, yoga, weightlifting, calisthenics, rowing, stair climbing, and various types of exercise classes (such as bootcamp, HIIT, spin, Pilates, etc.).
What exercises should I do to stay healthy?
6. Jumping Jacks
9. Mountain Climbers
10. Glute Bridges
11. Box Jumps
12. TRX Rows
13. High Knees
14. Single-Leg Deadlifts
15. Rope Slams
These exercises are sure to help you stay in shape and improve your cardiovascular health.
What is a good exercise routine for health?
1. Walking/Jogging: Start with a 20-minute walk/jog around your neighborhood every other day. As you progress, increase the duration and/or frequency of this activity.
2. Strength Training: Do two to three sets of 10-12 reps of basic strength training exercises three days a week. Include exercises such as squats, lunges, planks, bicep curls, tricep dips, and shoulder presses.
3. High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT): Do HIIT exercises two days a week. Start with 30 seconds of high-intensity activity followed by a rest period and then repeat this cycle.
4. Yoga/Stretching: Do yoga or light stretching two or three days a week. This helps to stretch and strengthen your muscles, improve flexibility, and reduce stress.
5. Core Training: Do core exercises (such as planks, sit-ups, and bicycles) two days a week.
6. Cardio: Do cardiovascular exercise (like running, swimming, biking, or rowing) two days a week. This helps to strengthen your cardiovascular system and improve your overall health.
What exercises should be included in an effective workout routine?
1. Cardio workout: Walking, jogging, running, cycling, swimming, rowing, stair climbing etc.
2. Strength training: Squats, deadlifts, lunges, push-ups, pull-ups, core exercises, kettlebell swings, overhead press, tricep dips, plank variations etc.
3. Flexibility training: Stretching, yoga, pilates etc.
4. Balance exercises: Standing on one foot, lunges with leg lifts etc.
5. Plyometric exercises: Jump squats, box jumps, burpees etc.
6. Interval Training: High-intensity interval training (HIIT) and Tabatas .
What are the benefits of an effective workout routine?
1. Improved physical health and fitness: You can reduce the risk of developing chronic illnesses, such as heart disease, high blood pressure and type 2 diabetes, through regular exercise. Being physically fit can also help prevent falls, improve bone health and reduce risk of cardiovascular and metabolic diseases.
2. Mental health benefits: Regular physical activity can help reduce stress, improve mood, decrease anxiety and depression and improve sleep.
3. Increased energy: Working out can help boost your energy level throughout the day.
4. Better performance: Engaging in regular exercise can help you perform better in physical activities, such as running, sports and weight lifting.
5. Aesthetics: Consistent workouts can help improve muscle tone, reduce body fat and give you a more attractive body.