These days, many of us are staying at home more than ever before. Staying in doesn’t mean that you have to sacrifice your fitness or overall health though. Here are 5 helpful tips for staying fit and healthy at home
1. Establish a Daily Routine
It can be easy to fall into a sedentary lifestyle when you’re not leaving your home as often, so the first step is to establish a daily routine that incorporates physical activity. Make an effort to stick to your routine and don’t forget to take regular breaks for exercise!
2. Create an At-Home Gym
You don’t need a full gym setup with expensive equipment to get a good workout. Instead, you can create a home gym with minimal equipment such as dumbbells, resistance bands, and yoga mats. Once you have the essentials, you can get creative and add in other items to make your space unique.
3. Get Outside When Possible
If it’s possible in your area, try to get outside daily for some physical activity. Going for a walk, jog, or bike ride can provide both mental and physical health benefits. If you can’t get outside, then find ways to get moving inside your home.
4. Monitor Your Eating Habits
It’s important to be mindful of what you eat, even when you’re staying home. Try to limit your sugar and processed food intake and focus on getting lots of fruits, vegetables, and lean proteins. Stocking up on healthy snacks that are easy to grab when you need them can make it easier to stay on track with your nutrition goals.
5. Schedule Virtual Workouts With Friends
Staying active can be more fun when it’s done with friends. Schedule virtual workouts with friends and make sure to stay connected with each other outside of your workout sessions.
Creating a fitness and health plan for yourself when you’re staying at home is important for maintaining your physical and mental wellbeing. With these 5 tips, you can stay active and healthy even when you’re not able to get outside.
What activities can I do at home to get fit and healthy?
1. Start a home-based workout program. Incorporate 30 minutes of aerobic exercise, such as jogging, cycling, swimming or dancing, into your daily routine.
2. Take the stairs instead of the elevator; walk or bike to nearby places instead of driving.
3. Join an online fitness class for an enjoyable and interactive way to stay active.
4. Incorporate resistance exercises with dumbbells, an exercise band or bodyweight exercises.
5. Practice yoga and stretching to improve flexibility and overall wellbeing.
6. Cut down on added sugars and processed foods, adding more fruits and vegetables to your diet.
7. Engage in mindful breathing and meditation to reduce your stress levels.
8. Take regular breaks throughout the day to go outside and get some fresh air.
What exercises can I do at home to stay fit and healthy?
1. Jumping jacks
8. Pencil press
9. Wall sit
10. Core exercises
17. High-intensity interval training
18. Resistance training
20. Jump rope
What equipment do I need to do exercises at home?
To do exercises at home you will need some basic equipment such as a pair of dumbbells, an exercise mat, jump rope, stability ball, resistance bands, and an exercise ball. For more advanced home workouts, you may also want to invest in a cardio machine such as a treadmill or elliptical, weights, and a pull-up bar.
What exercises can I do at home without equipment?
6. High knees
7. Mountain climbers
8. Jumping jacks
10. Glute bridge
11. Tricep dips
12. Leg lifts
14. Reverse crunches
15. Side plank
16. Wall sits
17. Wall push-ups
18. Chair dips
19. Side shuffles
20. Superman Hold
What exercises can I do at home with no space?
1. Yoga or Pilates – From simple stretches to full poses, these low-impact exercises don’t require much space.
2. Downdog Push-ups – With only a yoga mat or towel, this modified push-up is an effective bodyweight exercise that works the chest and triceps.
3. Bodyweight Squats – Squats are an excellent choice to keep your legs toned and strong with no space.
4. Plank – Core planks can be done anywhere, even standing, with no extra space or equipment.
5. Wall Sit – Stick your back against the wall and sit with your legs bent at the knee and hip. This exercise strengthens the quads and hip flexors.
6. High Knees – Perform this simple cardio exercise by running in place for a set time, and lifting your knees as high as possible.
7. Jumping Jacks – Jumping jacks are another easy cardio exercise that requires no extra space.
8. Chair Dips – Place your hands on the edge of a chair and lower yourself until your elbows bend to 90 degrees. This is one of the best bodyweight exercises for toning your triceps.
What bodyweight exercises can I do at home with no equipment?
5. Mountain Climbers
6. Walking Lunges
7. Jumping Jacks
9. Jump Squats
11. Jumping Rope
15. Leg Raises