Healthy eating is important for overall wellbeing, and it’s easier than you might think to create a balanced, nutritious diet. Here are five tips to ensure you get the energy and vitamins you need while enjoying all your favorite foods:
1. Eat a Variety of Foods
Nobody wants to miss out on foods they love — and you shouldn’t have to! But it’s still important to make sure you’re getting a good range of foods in your diet. Aim to include something from each food group:
- Protein – such as lean meat, fish, or beans
- Dairy – such as yogurt or cheese
- Fruits & Vegetables – aim for five servings a day
- Carbohydrates – like bread, potatoes, and rice
- Fats & Oils – like olive or sunflower oil
2. Choose the Right Balance of Macronutrients
When it comes to nutrition, many people focus on getting the right quantities of carbohydrates, proteins, and fats each day. Get the balance right and you’ll set your body up for success. In general, a healthy diet consists of:
- 50-60% carbohydrates – Choose wholegrain carbs like oats, quinoa and brown rice for a healthy source of fiber, B Vitamins and minerals
- 10-20% protein – Lean sources of protein like chicken, fish, seeds, and legumes are great for energy, muscle growth, and repair
- 30-35% fats – Healthy fats like those found in avocado, nuts, and oily fish provide essential fatty acids and can help reduce inflammation
3. Avoid Processed Foods
Processed foods are often high in sugar, salt, and fat and can contain artificial additives or preservatives. Where possible, try to stay away from processed foods and make meals from fresh ingredients. This will help ensure you’re getting all of the essential vitamins, minerals and antioxidants your body needs to stay strong and healthy.
4. Monitor Your Calorie Intake
No matter how many healthy foods you eat, it’s still possible to eat too much. A healthy diet should include the right balance of macronutrients and not exceed your daily calorie requirements. While it’s likely that you won’t get exactly the same calorie intake every day, you should aim for a consistent number to maintain a healthy weight.
5. Enjoy What You Eat
Sometimes, healthy eating can seem like a chore. However, it’s important to remember that variety and moderation are key to a healthy diet. Make sure to include some of your favorite foods and enjoy it!
By sticking to these five tips, you can keep your diet healthy and balanced while still enjoying food.
What foods should I avoid when trying to maintain a healthy diet?
1. Refined grains: white bread, white rice, white pastas
2. Processed meats: bacon, hot dogs, deli meats
3. High-sugar snacks: candy, cookies, cake
4. Trans fats: fried foods, margarine, processed foods
5. High-sodium foods: canned soups, pre-packaged meals, frozen dinners
6. High-fat dairy: butter, cream, whole milk
7. High-calorie drinks: soda, juices, alcoholic beverages
8. Refined oils: vegetable oil, corn oil, canola oil
What types of foods are considered unhealthy?
Unhealthy foods include processed snacks and meals, fried foods, sugary drinks, candy, high-fat meats, and processed meats. These foods are often high in saturated fats, trans fats, sodium, and added sugars, which can increase your risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease, diabetes, and obesity. Additionally, it’s best to limit your intake of refined grains, refined oils, and artificial ingredients.
What are the healthiest foods to eat?
2. Leafy greens
4. Nuts and seeds
5. Beans and legumes
6. Fish and seafood
7. Cruciferous vegetables
8. Whole grains
9. Spices and herbs
10. Lean meats and poultry
11. Healthy fats
12. Plant-based proteins
13. Water and other beverages
What foods should I avoid to stay healthy?
1. Processed meats (i.e. hot dogs, deli meats, bacon, etc.)
2. Trans fats (i.e. fried foods, margarine, etc.)
3. Refined white grains (i.e. white bread, white rice, etc.)
4. Artificial sweeteners
5. Refined sugars (i.e. candy, soda, etc.)
6. High-sodium foods (i.e. canned soup, sauces, processed snacks, etc.)
7. Highly processed foods
8. Refined vegetable oils (i.e. canola oil, soybean oil, etc.)
9. High-fat dairy products (i.e. cheese, ice cream, etc.)
What kinds of food should I avoid eating to lose weight?
You should avoid eating processed and fried foods, high-sugar foods and drinks, high-fat dairy products, refined grains, and foods high in sodium. Additionally, focus on limiting your portion sizes and eating healthier, whole foods such as vegetables, fruits, lean protein, whole grains and healthy fats.
What foods should I eat to lose weight?
1. Fruits and Vegetables: Eating plenty of fruits and vegetables is one of the best things you can do to lose weight. Fruits and veggies are full of essential vitamins and minerals, and are also low in calories and high in fiber, which can help you feel fuller longer and aid in weight loss.
2. Whole Grains: Eating whole grains can help you lose weight, because they are higher in fiber and nutrients than refined grains like white bread and pasta. Choose whole grains such as oats, barley, and quinoa, which are also more filling and can help you stay full longer.
3. Lean Proteins: Eating lean proteins such as poultry, fish, eggs, and beans can help you lose weight, as they are all low in calories and fat. Lean proteins also help you build muscle, which in turn can boost your metabolism to help you burn more calories.
4. Healthy Fats: Eating healthy sources of fat such as avocados, nuts, seeds, and olive oil can help you lose weight. Healthy fats can help you feel fuller longer, and can also provide essential nutrients to help you reach your weight loss goals.