Exercising has many benefits, yet it can be hard to maintain a regular routine that keeps you motivated and engaged. During times of stay at home orders, it can be difficult to find the right home exercise routine that works for you. Here are five tips to stay active and healthy while creating a home exercise routine that you can keep up with.
1. Set and Track Goals
Creating short-term and long-term goals can help to keep you motivated and committed, while holding yourself accountable to staying active and achieving those goals. Choose an activity that works for you and create realistic goals that you can work towards. Keep track on what activities you do each week and the results it brings.
2. Find the Right Instrument
Having the right equipment for your home workout makes all the difference for keeping you engaged and active. Whether it’s investing in weights or basic gym equipment or considering smaller options like a jump rope or yoga mat, finding the right instrument is key.
3. Determine the Right Amount of Exercise
Exercising too much or too little can lead to burning out or not getting the most out of your efforts. Find the approach that works best for you. Everyone is different, ranging from high-intensity or low-intensity exercises and short routines or longer workout sessions.
4. Change Up Your Routine
Doing the same workout every day can get mundane, making it harder to stay engaged in the long-term. Incorporate different exercises into your routine that works for you. This includes trying out different activities like a cardio-day or a yoga-focused workout.
5. Make it Fun
Changing up your home exercise routine in ways that make it enjoyable to do is the best way to stay motivated over the long term. Whether it’s a video class or an audio workout, focusing on what brings you joy during your ride can help you to stick with your routine in the long run.
Creating a home exercise routine that keeps you moving and motivated is key for staying healthy and active. By following these 5 tips, you’ll be able to make a routine that is just right for you.
What exercises should I include in my home exercise routine?
1. Push-Ups – Push-ups are a great full-body exercise that work your chest, core, arms and back muscles.
2. Squats – Squats are a fundamental exercise that works your lower body, including your leg muscles, glutes, and your core.
3. Lunges – Lunges are a great exercise that effectively target your lower body muscles and require coordination.
4. Plank – Plank is one of the best exercises that build strength in your core and test your balance.
5. High Knees – High knees are a great aerobic exercise that get your heart rate up, strengthen your calves, and help improve mobility.
6. Jumping Jacks – Jumping jacks are great for increasing your heart rate, working your arms, legs, and core.
7. Burpees – Burpees are a full-body exercise that work your chest, arms, core, legs and get your heart rate up.
8. Mountain Climbers – Mountain climbers are a multi-dimensional exercise targeting your arms, abdominals and legs.
9. Russian Twists – Russian twists work your abdominal and oblique muscles.
10. Wall Sits – Wall sits are a great exercise that target your quadriceps and core.
By including a variety of exercises in your home exercise routine, you will be able to target all muscle groups and keep your routine diverse and enjoyable. In addition to these exercises, you might also want to incorporate any cardio activities you enjoy, such as running, biking, or swimming. Lastly, don’t forget to take breaks throughout your routine and take time to cool down and stretch afterwards, as these are key components to maintaining your physical and mental health.
What equipment do I need for a home exercise routine?
1. Resistance Bands: Resistance bands are versatile pieces of equipment which can be used for both strength and flexibility exercises. You can use them for squats, deadlifts, and even upper-body exercises.
2. Yoga Mat: Investing in a yoga mat can help you stay comfortable while stretching and doing other exercises.
3. Balance Board: Balance boards are great for improving your balance and stability while doing exercises like squats, lunges, yoga and Pilates.
4. Kettlebells: Kettlebells are excellent for exercises like squats, deadlifts, overhead presses, and swings. Plus, you can adjust the weight you use depending on your fitness level.
5. Stability Ball: Stability balls are great for balance and core exercises and can increase your range of motion and reduce risk of injury.
6. Jump Rope: Jump ropes are effective for cardio workouts and can be used to strengthen the lower body and improve coordination.
What exercises should I do for a home workout routine?
5. High Knees
6. Jumping Jacks
8. Jump Squats
9. Mountain Climbers
10. Glute Bridges
11. Running in Place
12. Tricep Dips
13. Wall Sit
14. Reverse Crunches
15. Russian Twists
16. Side Plank
19. Boat Pose
20. Calf Raises