Eating healthy is essential for feeling your best. When we load up on nutrient-rich meals and snacks, our bodies are energized and our minds are clearer. Falling into bad eating habits can be easy, but with a few simple changes, you can make food choices that benefit your wellbeing. Here are 7 easy ways to eat healthier and feel your best.
1. Start your day with breakfast
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and is necessary for setting you up for a productive and energized day. Eating a healthy breakfast with nutrient-rich ingredients like oatmeal, yogurt, fresh fruit, eggs, and whole grain toast, will keep you energized and prevent unhealthy snack cravings later in the day.
2. Embrace whole grains
Whole grains are an essential part of any healthy diet, and are packed with nutrients such as fiber and B vitamins. Eating more whole grains can help reduce risk of diseases like diabetes and, when added alongside a healthy diet, can help with weight loss. Aim for at least 3 servings of whole grains every day, like a slice of whole wheat toast for breakfast or a bowl of air-popped popcorn for a snack.
3. Fill up on vegetables
Vegetables are packed with antioxidants and other essential vitamins and minerals. As part of any healthy diet, getting enough vegetables is essential. Aim for two to three servings of vegetables per day. This could be a side of steamed broccoli with your dinner or a large salad with lunch.
4. Cut back on sugar
Cutting back on sugary drinks and desserts is a great way to eat healthier. Reducing the amount of refined sugar you consume every day can significantly improve your overall health. Consider replacing sugary snacks with more natural sources of sweetness like fresh fruit.
5. Eat lean proteins
Lean proteins are an essential part of any healthy diet. Good sources of lean proteins include seafood, white-meat poultry, tofu, and low-fat dairy products. Eating lean proteins every day can help with weight loss, muscle growth, and satiety.
6. Drink more water
Drinking enough water throughout the day is essential for maintaining a healthy diet. Try to drink at least 8 glasses of water every day, and consider flavoring with lemon or lime for added flavor.
7. Watch your portion size
It’s easy to overeat if you’re not mindful of your portion sizes. When preparing meals and snacks, remember to keep portion sizes moderate to avoid overindulging.
In conclusion, with a few small changes to your diet and lifestyle, you can make big changes to your health and wellbeing. Eating healthily is essential for feeling your best, and with these 7 easy tips, you can start making simple food swaps that benefit both your physical and mental wellbeing.
What are the benefits of eating healthier?
1. Improved physical health: Eating a healthy and balanced diet can help protect against certain chronic diseases, such as heart disease, diabetes and certain cancers. Eating healthy can also help keep blood pressure, cholesterol, and blood sugar levels in check.
2. Improved mental health: Eating a healthy diet can help improve mood and relieve stress. Eating more nutrient-dense foods can help provide the body with much-needed energy and nutrients that it needs to feel great.
3. Improved sleep: Eating healthier can help you sleep better and more soundly. Eating the right combination of carbs, proteins, and fats can help your body easily transition into a restful sleep.
4. Improved energy level: Eating the right foods can give the body the energy it needs to fuel through everyday activities. Eating healthy can help prevent dips in your energy throughout the day.
5. Improved concentration: Eating a balanced diet can help your body get the vitamins, minerals and micronutrients it needs to focus and stay alert. This can help you work more efficiently and be more productive throughout the day.
What are some healthy alternatives to unhealthy snacks?
Healthy alternatives to unhealthy snacks include nuts, seeds, fruit, vegetables, plain yogurt, oatmeal, whole wheat crackers, air-popped popcorn, dark chocolate, protein bars, nut butter, roasted chickpeas, and hummus. Additionally, roasting or baking protein-rich foods, such as chickpeas, edamame, and nuts, can provide a satisfying crunch without the added fat and calories.
What are some low-calorie snacks?
1. Air-popped popcorn
2. Fruit, such as apples and berries
3. Plain Greek yogurt with fruit
4. Celery sticks with hummus
5. Roasted chickpeas
6. Nut butter on whole wheat toast
7. A boiled egg
8. A smoothie made with a serving of fruit and low-fat milk
9. Kale chips
10. Roasted seaweed snacks
What are some examples of healthy snacks with low calories?
1. Celery and peanut butter
2. Raw bell pepper slices with hummus
3. A fruit smoothie with yogurt
4. Air-popped popcorn
5. Banana slices with almond butter
6. Greek yogurt with honey and chia seeds
8. Celery sticks with hard-boiled egg
9. Berries and cottage cheese
10. Apple slices with almond butter