Having healthy, radiant skin is something we all aspire to, but it can be hard to know how to achieve it. To reach your skin care goals, the following seven tips are essential:
1. Cleanse Twice a Day
Cleansing is the first step of any good skin care routine. Try to cleanse your face twice a day using a gel, cream or foam-based cleanser to keep skin looking and feeling clear and healthy.
2. Exfoliate Regularly
Regularly exfoliating removes dead skin cells and dirt from the skin, allowing it to breathe and glow. Use a gentle scrub once a week to give skin an extra boost.
3. Moisturize After Cleansing
Moisturizing your skin is an important element of any skin care regime. Choose a moisturizer that works for your skin type, and use it after cleansing to lock in moisture and give skin a healthy glow.
4. Wear Sunscreen Daily
It’s important to wear sunscreen daily, even in the winter months, to protect skin from the sun’s harmful rays. Choose a moisturizer with an SPF of at least 30, and remember to reapply throughout the day.
5. Drink Plenty of Water
Water is essential for healthy skin. To help keep skin hydrated, aim to drink at least eight glasses of water each day.
6. Eat a Balanced Diet
Feeding your body the right foods is essential for healthy skin. Make sure to eat plenty of fruits, vegetables, and healthy fats to keep skin looking its best.
7. Get Plenty of Sleep
Your skin needs time to recover. To help it do this, make sure to get seven to nine hours of sleep each night. Aim to go to bed and wake up around the same time every day.
Follow these seven essential tips and you’ll be sure to achieve healthy, glowing skin in no time!
What are the best ingredients to look for in skin care products?
1. Hyaluronic acid: Hyaluronic acid is a naturally occurring sugar molecule that helps your skin retain moisture and keep it hydrated.
2. Antioxidants: Antioxidants help protect your skin from damage caused by free radicals. Examples include vitamin C, green tea extract, and vitamin E.
3. Alpha-hydroxy acids: Alpha-hydroxy acids, such as glycolic acid, help to exfoliate your skin and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
4. Retinol: Retinol is a form of vitamin A, which can help increase cell turnover and reduce the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines.
5. Niacinamide: This form of vitamin B3 helps even out your skin tone and reduce the appearance of dark spots.
What ingredients should I avoid in skin care products?
1. Parabens: Parabens, like propylparaben and methylparaben, are preservatives that prevent the growth of bacteria, mold and yeast in products. They can disrupt the body’s hormonal balance and have been linked to various forms of cancer.
2. Phthalates: Phthalates are used to soften and increase the flexibility of products. They are linked to hormonal disruption, early puberty, infertility, reproductive birth defects and even cancer.
3. Fragrance: Fragrance is a common ingredient used in many skin care products and cosmetics. However, the chemicals in fragrance are linked to dermatitis and allergies, headaches, dizziness and even respiratory problems.
4. Formaldehyde: Formaldehyde is a preservative that is linked to allergies, asthma, reproductive birth defects and cancer.
5. Sulfates: Sulfates, like sodium lauryl sulfate, (SLS) and sodium laureth sulfate, (SLES) are used to create a foam when used in products. They are linked to skin, eye and respiratory irritation and organ toxicity.
6. Artificial colors: Artificial colors are often used to add color to products. These chemicals are linked to allergies, asthma, ADHD and even cancer.
What ingredients in skin care products can cause irritation?
Ingredients that can cause skin irritation include fragrances, alcohol, and essential oils. Other ingredients to watch out for include formaldehyde, phthalates, parabens, and sulfates. People who are sensitive to any of these ingredients should always check a product’s label for a list of ingredients and consult their doctor if they notice any irritation or reaction.
What ingredients should I avoid in skin care products if I have sensitive skin?
-Fragrances and essential oils: Fragrances and essential oils can irritate sensitive skin and can cause an allergic reaction.
-Alcohols: alcohols like ethyl and isopropyl alcohol can be very drying and can strip away essential oils from the skin.
-Retinoids: Retinoids can cause irritation, redness, and sensitivity if used incorrectly.
-Parabens: Parabens are a type of preservative that can irritate sensitive skin.
-Harsh chemical exfoliants: Physical and chemical exfoliants can strip away too much of the skin’s protective barrier and irritate the skin.
-Artificial colorants: Artificial colors can cause irritation and breakouts on sensitive skin.
What types of skin care ingredients are best for sensitive skin?
1. Chamomile oil
2. Aloe vera
3. Green tea
4. Shea butter
6. Zinc oxide
7. Lavender oil
9. Hyaluronic acid
10. Cucumber extract