Being physically fit can be seen as a bridge between mind and body. It is not just a sign of physical health and strength– it also contributes to mental strength and wellbeing. Here are 7 habits that highly fit people have acquired to achieve superior fitness levels:
1. Eating Healthy
Highly fit people eat regularly throughout the day and choose nutrient-dense, whole food diets. This means not loading up on processed, refined foods. They go for organic, locally-sourced foods, avoid sugary drinks and look for healthy fats and lean proteins.
2. Practicing Portion Control
Highly fit people understand that part of a healthy diet is eating the right amount of food. They never skip meals and eat just enough to feel satisfied. The secret to portion control lies in mindful eating and focusing on the quality of food over the quantity.
3. Incorporating Variety
Highly fit people understand that having balanced meals with a range of foods helps to keep their diet interesting and helps their bodies to get all the nutrients needed for great health.
4. Having an Exercise Routine
Highly fit people make a habit of exercising regularly, no matter how busy their schedule is. They usually incorporate a mixture of strength and endurance exercises, meaning they avoid plateaus and boredom.
5. Getting Enough Sleep
Highly fit people prioritize sleep as a necessary part of keeping their bodies and minds healthy. Sleep helps to improve physical performance, as well as cognitive function.
6. Taking Time for Self-Care
Highly fit people don’t only focus on their physical wellbeing. They understand that taking time to relax, reset and recharge is essential in order to prevent burn out and is key in achieving their fitness goals.
7. Surrounding Themselves with Supportive People
Highly fit people build a positive support system. They choose to surround themselves with friends and family who cheer them on and who motivate them to keep going. These people can provide them with the encouragement they need to stick with their fitness goals.
By practicing these 7 habits, you too can achieve a healthier body, stronger mind, and higher fitness level. Apply these principles, stick to them and you will be closer to achieving your fitness goals.
What exercises do highly fit people do to stay in shape?
1. Cardiovascular Exercise: Highly fit people use aerobic exercise to strengthen their heart, lungs, and circulatory system. Popular forms of aerobic exercise include running, jogging, biking, swimming, and stair climbing.
2. Strength Training: Resistance exercise, including weight training, is used to build muscles and increase strength. Common exercises include squats, push-ups, planks, and lunges.
3. Flexibility Training: Highly fit people often practice stretching or yoga to increase their range of motion.
4. Core Training: Core exercises are used to strengthen the muscles of the mid-section. Popular core exercises include planks, side planks, and hollow holds.
5. High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT): HIIT is a vigorous form of exercise which involves short bursts of maximum effort followed by short periods of rest. Popular HIIT activities include sprints, burpees, and jump squats.
What is the best way for an unfit person to start exercising to become fit?
The best way for an unfit person to start exercising to become fit is to start small. Begin with low-impact exercises such as walking, biking, and swimming. Once you become comfortable with those exercises, slowly build up to running, weight-training, and playing sports. As you progress, make sure to cool down and stretch after each workout. Also, make sure to consult with a healthcare provider to make sure that you are cleared to exercise and discuss your goals. Finally, make sure to get plenty of rest and stay hydrated. This will ensure that your body has time to recover and is able to build muscle and burn fat.
What types of exercises are best for someone who is not fit?
1. Gentle early morning or evening walks
2. Simple yoga postures
4. Low impact aerobics
5. Tai Chi
7. Resistance Band exercises
8. Core stability exercises
9. Step-ups onto an exercise step
10. Chair exercises
What exercises can I do to get in shape quickly?
1. High-intensity interval training (HIIT): This involves short bursts of intense exercise, alternating with brief periods of rest.
2. Plyometric exercises: These are explosive, power-based training exercises designed to increase speed and power.
3. Strength training: Lifting weights and using other resistance devices helps build lean muscle mass.
4. Cardio training: Engaging in regular aerobic exercise (such as running, biking, or swimming) helps you burn calories and improve your overall fitness level.
5. Yoga: Performing stretches and poses can help improve flexibility and core strength.
6. Jumping rope: This simple yet effective exercise works your entire body, boosting your aerobic fitness.
7. Swimming: This low-impact activity is an effective way to build strength, endurance, and cardiovascular fitness.