7 Tips For A Healthy, Active Lifestyle
Being physically active and eating a balanced diet is important for maintaining good health and wellbeing. Here are our top 7 tips to help you lead a more active and healthier lifestyle.
Exercising regularly helps reduce the risk of serious health conditions. Aim for at least 2.5 hours of moderate-intensity physical activity every week, or 1.25 hours of vigorous-intensity physical activity.
Eat a Balanced Diet
Eating a balanced diet helps provide your body with the essential nutrients it needs to stay healthy. Consume plenty of fruits, vegetables, whole grains and lean proteins for a balanced diet.
Limit Sugar Intake
A diet that is high in sugar can lead to an increased risk of developing chronic conditions such as obesity, type 2 diabetes and heart disease. Limit added sugars as much as possible and opt for natural, unsweetened foods instead.
Drink Plenty of Water
Drinking plenty of water helps keep your body hydrated and functioning properly. Aim to drink at least 8 glasses of water per day.
Get Enough Sleep
Getting enough sleep helps your body and mind function properly. Aim to get 7-9 hours of quality sleep each night.
Cut Back on Alcohol
Alcohol can contribute to weight gain and many other health problems. It is best to limit alcohol consumption to no more than two standard drinks per day.
Make it Fun
Having fun with your active lifestyle is key to staying motivated and sticking to it. Find activities you enjoy or switch up your routine to keep it interesting and enjoyable.
By following these tips, you can help ensure that you lead a healthy, active lifestyle, and enjoy the long-term benefits it can provide.
“What are the best ways to live an active lifestyle?”
1. Exercise regularly. Try to incorporate physical activity into your daily routine, such as walking, running, swimming, cycling, or strength training.
2. Eat healthy. Focus on foods that are nutrient-rich and that provide the energy your body needs to stay active.
3. Stay hydrated. Make sure to drink plenty of fluids throughout the day to keep your body energized.
4. Take regular breaks. Make sure to take breaks throughout the day to rest, refuel, and relax.
5. Make time for yourself. Set aside some time each week to dedicate to activities or hobbies that can help you stay active.
6. Get plenty of sleep. Make sure you’re getting enough sleep each night to keep your body and mind rested and energized.
7. Join a group or activity. Look into joining a sports team or group activity, such as a walking club or dance class, to keep you motivated and active.
What types of physical activities should I do to stay active?
1. Walking – Taking a stroll through your neighborhood or nearby park is a great way to stay active and enjoy the outdoors.
2. Running – Running is an efficient way to get in your daily activity and raise your heartrate.
3. Cycling – Enjoy this low-impact activity and take in the sights of your surroundings.
4. Swimming – Swimming is a great total-body workout that won’t put too much strain on your joints.
5. Yoga – Yoga is a great way to increase flexibility and mindfulness while getting in an active routine.
6. Pilates – Add a core workout to your routine with Pilates classes or try mat exercises at home.
7. HIIT – High intensity interval training is an efficient and effective way to get a heart pumping workout in a shorter amount of time.
8. Weight Training – Challenge your muscles with a weight routine that can be done at the gym or with dumbbells at home.
What are some good at-home physical activities?
1. Running / jogging
2. Jumping jacks
4. Kettlebell swings
6. Bicycle crunches
9. Burst training
10. Jump rope
What are some good at-home physical activities for seniors?
1. Swimming or water exercises
2. Chair-based exercises
3. Light resistance exercises
4. Walking, hiking or jogging
5. Power yoga
What types of exercises are best for seniors to do at home?
1. Low Impact Cardio: Walking, biking or using an elliptical machine.
2. Strength Training: Work with light weights, resistance bands or use your own body weight for exercises such as squats, lunges, push-ups and sit-ups.
3. Balance/Stability Training: Use a stability ball, foam rollers or low-level step platforms for exercises like single-leg stands and walking heel-to-toe.
4. Yoga and Pilates: Improve flexibility and core strength with postures and exercises tailored to the needs of seniors.
5. Aerobic Dancing: Increase your heart rate while having fun with modified dance moves.
6. Stretching: Improve mobility and flexibility with simple stretches.
What exercises should seniors avoid at home?
1. High impact exercises such as jumping jacks, burpees, and sprinting.
2. Heavy lifting or high resistance exercises without assistance or professional supervision.
3. Exercises which require difficult balance or stability that could cause a fall, such as standing on one leg.
4. Abdominal crunches and other exercises that strain the neck and back.
5. Extreme stretches that could cause a muscle strain or injury.