Winter makes it harder to go out and exercise, but it’s still possible to stay fit and active. To make sure your winter workout is successful, use these five tips:
1. Schedule ahead
Set a schedule for the week and stick to it. That way, you won’t forget to make time for your fitness routine. Also, pick a few days a week that you have to exercise regardless of the weather.
2. Choose an activity that you’ll enjoy
It’s important to choose an activity that you’ll actually enjoy so that you can look forward to it. Whether it’s grocery-hiking with a friend once a week, going ice-skating, or taking an online yoga class, having an activity that you’ll truly enjoy will make it easier to stick to your workout plan.
3. Dress for the weather
When it’s cold outside, it’s important to dress for the weather. Wear layers to keep warm and comfortable. If you’re exercising outdoors, make sure you wear gloves, a hat, and other necessary winter gear.
4. Eat the right foods
Keep your energy levels up with nutrient-rich foods that will fuel your workouts. Snack on nuts, fruits, and veggies instead of unhealthy processed foods.
5. Make it social
Having a friend to work out with can make all the difference. They can help keep you motivated and also give you tips and advice. You can also join a group fitness class or a virtual workout, so you get to workout with people all around the world.
Overall, staying motivated in the winter can be a challenge, but with a bit of planning and preparation, you can have a successful winter workout routine.
What should I wear for a winter workout?
For a winter workout you should wear layers. Start with a wicking base layer that will keep you warm and dry and add additional layers as needed. Wear a lightweight, breathable, and water-resistant outer layer to block the wind. Make sure to dress in loose-fitting clothing that won’t restrict your movement. Also, a good pair of winter running shoes and insulated hat can help keep your feet and head warm.
What type of clothing is best for a winter workout?
The best type of clothing for a winter workout would be materials that will keep you warm and dry. Clothing made from breathable, insulating fabrics such as wool, synthetic fleece, and artificial down are all good options. Layering with items like long-sleeved t-shirts, leggings or thermal tights, and a lightweight jacket or vest is also recommended for winter workouts.
What are the benefits of winter workout clothing?
1. Increased Comfort: Winter workout clothing is made from fabrics that are designed to keep the body warm and comfortable even in the coldest temperatures. The fabrics are normally thicker and heavier than everyday clothing and provide added insulation against the elements.
2. Moisture Wicking: Winter workout clothes are designed to keep your body dry by quickly removing sweat. Specialised fabrics move sweat away from the body quickly, helping to reduce wetness and heat loss.
3. Improved Performance: Winter workout clothes are designed to allow body heat to stay trapped near the body, keeping it warm and functional during cold-weather workouts. Specialised fabrics keep the feet, hands and face warm and lower the risk of injury.
4. Reflective Elements: Many winter workout clothes feature reflective elements that make it easier to be seen in the dark. Reflective stripes on jackets or reflective gloves can help keep you safe from passing cars or motorcycles.
5. Stylish Options: Winter workout clothes come in a variety of stylish options to suit everyone’s needs and taste. Whether you opt for flashy colours or subtle, classic designs, you’re sure to find the perfect winter workout outfit for your training needs.
What types of fabric should I look for in winter workout clothing?
For winter workouts, look for fabrics and blends that will keep you warm, dry, and comfortable, such as: merino wool, synthetic materials like polyester, stretchy fleece, and wind and water-resistant fabrics like Gore-Tex. Avoid cotton, as it absorbs moisture and takes longer to dry which can leave you feeling cold and uncomfortable.
What types of fabrics are best for cold weather running?
The best types of fabrics for cold weather running are ones that are warm but also breathable, such as wool, fleece, high-tech synthetic fabrics, and layered combinations of these materials. Fabrics such as cotton and denim should generally be avoided, as they absorb and retain moisture, which can lead to feeling cold and uncomfortable.
What temperature is too cold for running?
The ideal temperature for running typically ranges from 50-55 degrees Fahrenheit (10-13 degrees Celsius). However, some runners are comfortable running in temperatures as cold as 20-25 degrees Fahrenheit (-6 to -4 degrees Celsius). Anything colder than this, however, is likely too cold for running for most people.
What temperature is safe for running?
A general guideline is to run in temperatures between 40-85°F (4-29°C). For temperatures outside of this range it is recommended to adjust your running session accordingly with extra layers or longer breaks.