Are you looking to start an exercise routine, but need guidance? If so, use this helpful guide to kickstart your journey to a healthier, more fit lifestyle.
1. Establish Goals
Set some achievable goals that reflect where you are today. Focus on what your ideal result is and set three mini-goals that will help you get there. You’ll feel motivated as you’re ticking off each landmark.
2. Assess Your Fitness
Take the time to honestly assess your current fitness level. There’s no need to be overly harsh on your assessment, but it’s also important to not spin tales or make excuses. Your honest opinion on where you are today is the best way to establish a timeline and plan moving forward.
3. Figure Out What You Enjoy Doing
Learn what activities you enjoy, and lean into them. Starting something that you enjoy increases your chances of sticking with it. Figure out the type of fitness activity that works for your personality and lifestyle.
4. Make a Schedule
Decide on the frequency, intensity, and duration of workouts that fit into your lifestyle and preferences. Make sure to allow for time for rest and recovery as well.
5. Don’t Go it Alone
Find someone who has a similar fitness level and goals and team up with them. Working out with a range of people with different strengths is a great way to find balance in your workouts and learn even more.
6. Find an Exercise Routine
Choose the type of exercise routine that you will follow that suits your goals, lifestyle and level of fitness. Use the following tips to create an ideal plan:
- Be Varied: Include a variety of types of exercise in your routine to create a well-rounded plan.
- Match Your Capacity: Aim to challenge yourself but don’t go too hard too soon.
- Make it Easier: Don’t be afraid to make modifications to your exercise routine so that it works for you.
- Plan for Progress: As you progress and reach milestones, continue to challenge yourself by slowly increasing difficulty and duration.
7. Create an Environment for Success
Establish an environment where you’re most likely to stay motivated and be consistent. That might include scheduling incentives, tracking progress, changing up your routine and finding activities you genuinely enjoy.
8. Celebrate Your Accomplishments
Make sure to reward yourself for your efforts. Celebrate each milestone and set a new goal.
There you have it! The best way to approach a fitness journey is to be consistent and work toward measurable goals. Do your best to create an atmosphere for success and don’t get discouraged if something doesn’t work out the first time. With a positive attitude and dedication to a healthy lifestyle, you’ll reach whatever goal you set out to achieve.
What are some healthy meals that I can add to my fitness journey?
1. Grilled chicken breast with steamed vegetables
2. Baked salmon and roasted Brussels sprouts
3. Quinoa and black beans with grilled peppers and squash
4. Grilled vegetable and tofu stir fry
5. Lentil soup with roasted cauliflower
6. Broiled Tilapia with steamed broccoli
7. Brown rice and roasted vegetables
8. Spinach and feta omelette
9. Grilled turkey burger and sweet potato fries
10. Black bean and vegetable Buddha bowl
What foods should I avoid for weight loss?
1. Processed foods: Processed foods, such as snack cakes, cookies, crackers, and microwavable meals, are often high in sugar, sodium and unhealthy fats. These foods can cause weight gain and should be avoided.
2. Refined carbohydrates: White bread, pasta and rice are all simple carbohydrates that have been stripped of their nutritional benefits. These refined carbs can cause an increase in blood sugar and have been linked to weight gain.
3. Junk food: Foods like chips, candy, and soda should be avoided as they provide no nutritional value and can lead to an increase in calories.
4. Alcohol: Alcohol can lead to excess calories, dehydration, and disruptions in metabolism. Therefore, it should be avoided if weight loss is desired.
5. Fried foods: Fried foods, such as French fries, chicken nuggets, and onion rings, are often high in calories, unhealthy fats, sodium, and grease. These types of foods should be avoided when attempting to lose weight.
Q: What snacks should I avoid while trying to lose weight?
It is best to avoid processed or sugary snacks when trying to lose weight. Examples of foods to avoid include candy, chips, cookies, ice cream, cake, and soda. It is also important to avoid foods that are high in refined carbohydrates, such as white bread, pasta, and pastries. Instead, focus on eating healthy snacks like fruits, vegetables, nuts, and seeds.
Q: Are chips considered unhealthy snacks?
A: It depends on the type of chip. Many chips can be high in fat, salt and calories, making them an unhealthy snack option. Alternatives such as baked chips, whole-grain chips, homemade chips, popcorn and veggie chips can all be healthier options.