With the global pandemic making it even more difficult to go to the gym, getting fit at home is becoming increasingly popular. With the right preparation and attitude, anyone can take control of their body and reach their fitness goals.
Here are some critical tips for achieving success and ensuring you stay fit during this time:
1. Invest in the Right Equipment
Having the right fitness tools is essential if you’re going to get fit at home. The most basic pieces of equipment include:
- Resistance bands
- Jump rope
- Exercise Mat
This type of equipment will give you the ability to do a range of exercises that help target different muscle groups, making it easier to create a full body workout.
2. Set Realistic and Specific Goals
When it comes to fitness, be sure to set realistic goals that challenge you but don’t become too difficult to manage. Set a specific goal such as losing 5 pounds, or reaching a certain number of pull-ups. This provides a clear timeline and guidelines to help you measure success.
3. Use Apps and Online Resources
Gone are the days of needing a personal trainer in order to achieve success. Now, you can find several online resources for your workout. Setting up an online training plan via an app or website can help provide structure and guidance for a successful workout routine.
4. Vary Your Workouts
One of the biggest mistakes people make when working out at home is doing the same routine every day. Your body needs variety to stay in shape. Try to mix up your workouts by switching up the exercises you do each day and even the order of them. This will help keep you from getting stuck in a rut and help keep your body guessing, which will lead to better results.
5. Stay Motivated and Don’t Give Up
It’s easy to get discouraged and give up when you don’t start seeing results right away. The key is to stay focused and motivated. Changing up your routine and adding in new exercises can help keep things interesting and give you the motivation you need to maintain your routine.
Working out at home can be a great way to stay in shape while saving money and time. Just make sure to invest in the right equipment, set realistic goals, and stay motivated. With a little discipline and commitment, anyone can reach their fitness goals—even from home.
Follow these tips, and you’ll be sure to reach success!
What exercises can I do at home to get fit?
1) Jumping Jacks: Start by standing with your feet together and arms at your sides. Jump up, spreading your feet shoulder-width apart while raising your arms above your head. Return to starting position.
2) Squats: Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart while keeping your back straight and your chest lifted. Bend your knees and lower yourself until your thighs are parallel to the floor. Push through your heels to return to standing position.
3) Burpees: Start by standing with your feet shoulder-width apart. Lower yourself into a squat and place your hands on the floor. Jump your legs back into a plank position and perform one push-up. Jump your legs back to the squat position, then jump up and reach your arms overhead.
4) Mountain Climbers: Begin in a push-up position, with your hands under your shoulders. Bring one knee forward towards your chest while keeping your back straight. Return the leg to original position and repeat on the other side.
5) Lunges: Start by standing with your feet hip-width apart. Step forward with one foot, lowering your body until your front knee is bent at a 90 degree angle and your back knee is almost touching the floor. Push back up to the starting position and repeat on the other side.
6) Plank: Start in a push-up position, with your elbows and hands together under your shoulders. Keeping your body in a straight line, brace your abs and hold the position for 30 seconds.
What kind of equipment do I need to do exercises at home?
At a minimum, basic home gym equipment you’ll need for an effective at-home workout includes adjustable dumbbells or kettelbells, a foam roller, resistance bands, an exercise mat, and a stability/yoga ball. To perform exercises like pull-ups or dips, you could invest in a doorway pull-up bar or an adjustable plyometric box. For cardio workouts, you could get an exercise bike, a treadmill, or an elliptical machine. Additionally, there are vast arrays of low-cost, space-saving exercise machines that can be used in the comfort of your own home.
What exercises can I do at home without equipment?
5. Glute Bridges
9. Russian Twists
10. Jumping Jacks
11. Mountain Climbers
12. Wall Sits
13. High Knees
14. Fire Hydrants
15. Lying Leg Raises
What exercises can I do at home to build muscle without equipment?
1. Push-Ups: Push-ups are a classic exercise that will strengthen your chest, arms, and shoulders.
2. Squats: Squats are excellent for building leg strength, and they don’t require any equipment.
3. Lunges: Lunges target both the legs and core, and they’re great for building strength and balance.
4. Planks: Planks are great for strengthening your core and your entire body in general.
5. Dips: Dips are performed using something to support your bodyweight, such as a chair or a bench. They can help build strength in your arms and back.
6. Inchworms: Inchworms help to challenge your torso and core muscles as you move along the floor.
7. Wall Sits: Wall sits are great for building strength in your legs without putting added pressure on your joints.
8. Bridges: Bridges can help to strengthen your glutes, abs, and lower back.
9. Step-Ups: Step-ups are another bodyweight-based exercise, and they can help to build strength in your lower body.
10. High Knees: High knees are a great cardio exercise that also helps to strengthen your quads and core.