The start of 2020 is here with resolutions and goals. One of the most important goals most of us will make this year is to stay healthy. To help you achieve that goal, we have created this list of tips:
1. Establish a Regular Exercise Routine
Exercise is essential in keeping yourself healthy. Start small and then build up your routine as time progresses. Try to make it routine so it becomes a habit.
2. Eating Healthy
Maintain an overall healthy diet by reducing trans fats, eating more fruits, vegetables, whole grains and proteins like nuts, fish, and lean meats.
3. Managing Stress
Many people have difficulty managing stress levels. However, if left unchecked, stress can have a wide range of negative effects on physical and mental health. Consider engaging in yoga or meditation to help manage stress levels.
4. Getting Enough Sleep
Sleep is essential in allowing the body and mind to rest and recharge. Aim for at least 7 hours of quality sleep every night.
5. Get Regular Check-ups
It is important to get regular check-ups and screen tests. This is especially important as you age to identify any potential health problems.
6. Take Time Out
Make time for yourself and do things that you enjoy, such as walking, reading, or meeting with friends. These moments of relaxation can help calm the mind and reduce stress levels.
7. Drink Plenty of Water
Staying hydrated is essential for good health. Make sure to drink plenty of water and avoid sugary beverages.
8. Avoid Unhealthy Practices
Substances such as tobacco, alcohol, and drugs, can have a detrimental effect on your physical and mental wellbeing. Aim to stay away from these unhealthy practices.
We hope these tips help you stay healthy in 2020. Best of luck!
What foods should I eat to stay healthy in 2020?
1. Fruits and Vegetables: Eating plenty of fruits and vegetables of all types is one of the best ways to stay healthy in 2020. Fruits and vegetables contain two essential components of a balanced diet: fiber and vitamins.
2. Whole grains: Whole grain foods such as oats, brown rice, quinoa, and barley are high in fiber and provide numerous health benefits. Eating them regularly can help reduce the risk of many chronic diseases, including heart disease and diabetes.
3. Lean proteins: Eating lean protein sources like fish, poultry, eggs, and beans can help keep your body strong and healthy. Make sure to avoid processed meats like bacon and hot dogs.
4. Healthy fats: Healthy fats like olive oil, nuts, and avocado can provide numerous health benefits. Make sure to choose these healthy alternatives over unhealthy saturated and trans fats.
5. Dairy products: Dairy products like milk, yogurt, and cheese are great sources of protein, calcium, and other essential nutrients. Choose low-fat options to keep your calorie intake in check.
What foods are high in antioxidants?
1. Berries (such as blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, goji berries, strawberries, etc.)
2. Nuts and seeds (such as pistachios, walnuts, almonds, chia seeds, flax seeds, etc.)
3. Dark chocolate
5. Beans and legumes (such as kidney beans, pinto beans, black beans, etc.)
6. Spinach and other leafy greens
10. Green tea And other teas
11. Cruciferous vegetables (such as broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, etc.)
12. Citrus fruits (such as oranges, lemons, limes, grapefruit, etc.)
13. Many herbs and spices like turmeric and oregano
What foods are the best sources of antioxidants?
The best sources of antioxidants are fresh fruits and vegetables such as apples, blueberries, strawberries, spinach, kale, broccoli, and carrots. Other good sources of antioxidants include nuts, seeds, beans, whole grains, and dark chocolate. Eating a variety of foods will help you get all the different antioxidants your body needs.
What are the benefits of antioxidants in food?
1. Protects Against Cellular Damage: Antioxidants protect cells from the damage caused by unstable molecules known as ‘free radicals’. Free radicals are the byproducts of natural processes in the body, such as those involved in metabolism, as well as environmental factors, such as pollution and cigarette smoke. High levels of free radicals can lead to oxidative stress, which is associated with several health conditions, including cancer, heart disease, and premature aging.
2. Strengthens Immune System: Antioxidants can help strengthen the immune system by reducing inflammation and free radical damage. For example, lycopene, an antioxidant found in tomatoes, has been shown to reduce inflammation and improve the functioning of the immune system.
3. Prevents Chronic Diseases: Evidence suggests that antioxidant-rich diets can significantly reduce the risk of chronic diseases, such as heart disease, diabetes, and certain types of cancer. For example, eating plenty of fruits and vegetables, which are high in antioxidants, has been linked to a reduced risk of several cancers.
4. Promotes Eye Health: Antioxidants can help protect the eyes from damage by neutralizing free radicals. Studies have linked diets high in antioxidants to a lower risk of macular degeneration and other age-related eye conditions.