Having beautiful, healthy skin is achievable all year round with a few simple steps. Here are 7 tips to help keep your skin glowing and beautiful:
1. Protect Your Skin From the Sun
Exposure to the sun is a major factor in skin damage over time. Wear a broad-spectrum sunscreen every day and reapply regularly, especially after swimming or exercising.
2. Don’t Over-Cleanse
Cleansing your face twice a day is enough. Over-washing can strip away natural oils and significantly damage the skin. It’s better to gently massage a good quality cleanser into your skin morning and night and then rinse with warm water.
Moisturiser helps to keep your skin looking youthful, fresh and hydrated. Apply a small amount twice a day- once in the morning and again before bed.
4. Use a Quality Cleanser
Using the right cleanser for your skin type will ensure your skin is clean without being stripped of its natural protective oils. An oil-based cleanser is good for dry skin, while a cream cleanser is better for sensitive or sun damaged skin.
5. Don’t Forget Your Neck and Chest
Don’t forget about your neck and chest – apply your moisturiser to these areas as well. Some people find it helpful to use a targeted neck cream to keep this area looking young and firm.
Exfoliating your skin regularly helps to keep it looking fresh and vibrant. Choose a facial scrub that’s suitable for your skin type and gently exfoliate twice per week.
7. Follow a Healthy Diet
Eating a balanced diet is one of the best ways to keep your skin healthy. Enjoy plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables and make sure you’re drinking enough water.
By following these simple tips, you can enjoy beautiful, healthy skin all year round.
What lifestyle habits can help improve skin health?
1. Eat a healthy, balanced diet: Eating a balanced and nutrient-rich diet can help improve skin health. Make sure to focus on foods high in antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals such as fruits, vegetables, and fatty fish.
2. Drink plenty of water: Staying hydrated is important for overall health and it’s great for your skin too. Make sure to drink plenty of water throughout the day to keep your skin looking its best.
3. Get plenty of sleep: Lack of sleep can cause your skin to appear dull and lifeless. Aim for at least 7-8 hours of sleep each night to keep your skin looking and feeling its best.
4. Exercise regularly: Exercise can help improve circulation, which can help bring more oxygen to your skin cells and promote better skin health.
5. Limit your exposure to the sun: Exposure to the sun’s UV rays can damage and age your skin. Make sure to wear sunscreen when outdoors and limit your exposure to direct sunlight as much as possible.
6. Avoid smoking and excess alcohol: Smoking and alcohol consumption can both cause skin damage and reduce your skin’s ability to heal itself. If you smoke or drink heavily, consider cutting back to improve your skin health.
What foods should I avoid to help improve skin health?
1. Fried and processed foods – These foods are high in saturated fat and added sugar and can cause inflammation, worsening skin conditions like acne.
2. Refined carbohydrates – Refined carbs, like white bread and pasta, have been linked to inflammation and a breakdown of collagen, negatively affecting the health of skin.
3. Alcohol – Heavy drinking can dehydrate the skin and make it look both dull and wrinkled.
4. Dairy – Many people are sensitive to dairy, which can cause skin breakouts.
5. Sugar – Eating too much sugar can trigger an increase in the hormone insulin and cause an inflammatory response, both of which can contribute to the development of acne.
What vitamins or nutrients can I take to help improve skin health?
The best vitamins and nutrients to help improve skin health include Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, B Vitamins, Mineral Selenium, and Omega-3 fatty acids. Additionally, drinking plenty of water, getting plenty of sleep, and exercising regularly can also help to keep skin healthy.
What foods are good for skin health?
1. Fatty Fish: Fatty fish, such as salmon and mackerel, are an excellent source of healthy omega-3 fatty acids, which are important for skin health.
2. Avocados: Avocados are packed with healthy fats, as well as vitamin E, which protects the skin from inflammation and damage from the sun.
3. Nuts: Nuts, such as almonds and walnuts, are filled with Vitamin E and other nutrients, which may help moisturize the skin and protect it from the sun’s UV rays.
4. Dark Chocolate: Rich in antioxidant compounds, dark chocolate can help improve skin texture and reduce the appearance of wrinkles.
5. Tomatoes: Tomatoes are rich in lycopene, an antioxidant that can help protect skin from damage caused by UV radiation.
6. Green Tea: Green tea is packed with antioxidants and can help protect your skin from damage and aging.
7. Beans: Beans are a great source of fiber, vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients that can help keep your skin looking healthy and clear.
8. Fruits: Fruits, such as oranges, lemons, and grapefruit are all great sources of vitamin C, which helps support healthy collagen production and fight off the signs of aging.